Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Dissecting SQL Server Execution Plans Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:27 AM
Grant Fritchey (12/20/2009)
Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the great review and the kind words. "I'm not worthy" doesn't begin to cover it, but thanks for the sentiments.

Heh... Humility and knowledge will get you everywhere, Grant. Both books were an absolute pleasure to read and study. "Not worthy" certainly isn't a phrase that ever entered my mind while I was reading them. I've used the new knowledge I've found in those books many times since I've read them and that's the true worth of a good book. Very well done, Grant.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #836874
Posted Thursday, December 24, 2009 8:11 PM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Thursday, December 4, 2014 7:52 AM
Great review, Jeff and I totally agree. An excellent book by a great writer, SQL expert, supportive resource, and all-around excellent guy.

-- RBarryYoung, (302)375-0451 blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung
Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
"Performance is our middle name."
Post #839109
Posted Monday, December 28, 2009 9:36 AM

SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, October 20, 2014 1:11 PM
Excellent book. I actually used it for over a year to solve many performance problems on our prodution databases. I have actually gone beyond the book's level to solve prodution issues. Let me explain: the book is excellent, it gives some simple examples of query so one can understand the underneath wiring. However in production performance tuning scenarios, I have most of times more complex situations that I have to think outside the box and utilize author's concept to solve real-world problems. It is an excellent reference book to prove to your boss what was wrong in the system.

This is a must read. BTW, another "must read" book is Tom Kyte "Expert Oracle ....". He wrote for Oracle, but the TP explanation (isolation, locking ....) is excellent (if anyone have questions or doubts how database processes records, you must read this book).

Jason
http://dbace.us
Post #839484
Posted Sunday, February 6, 2011 11:27 PM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Thursday, March 27, 2014 11:17 PM
Good one...

Regards,
Sakthi
My Blog -> http://www.sqlserverdba.co.cc