Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Enterprise SQL Job Activity Reporting Expand / Collapse
Author

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 6:22 AM
Hello,

Getting following error if i create an OLE DB soruce to remote DB

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "(null)" returned message "Login timeout expired".
OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "(null)" returned message "An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.".
Msg 2, Level 16, State 1, Line 0
Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [2].

If i remove the OPENROWSET it works fine.

Is there any alternate to OPENROWSET, which will eventually remove the problem of "Ad-Hoc Remote Queries"
OR
How to fix the above error ?

Cheers

Post #857217
Posted Monday, February 1, 2010 9:42 AM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 9:39 AM
Check that you have

a) remote connections enable for named pipes in is enabled in SQL Server Surface Area Manager > Surface Area Configuration for Services and Connections

b) OPENROWSET is enabled in SQL Server Surface Area Manager > Surface Area Configuration & Features

Post #857329
Posted Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:33 PM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 5:42 AM
Great article Craig, just to acknowledge your work i also modified the reports to include a graph to get a quick glance before scanning the report to check for failed jobs.

Tx once more

It's better to fail while trying, rather than fail without trying!!!

Post Attachments 
SSRS graph.JPG (4 views, 27.64 KB)
Post #1115189
Posted Monday, January 9, 2012 5:33 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Today @ 12:10 PM
This post is pretty old but I have a question i have the report all set up but Im having issues getting one of my reports to show up one server. I added one more server to the report but the in tables if I select still cant get the job activity. This is a instance sql server thats the only difference from the other 9 servers.

I have 9 working and set up exaclty the same.

Any help would be appreciated
Post #1232875
Posted Wednesday, February 1, 2012 10:05 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Today @ 12:10 PM
This is a great. I have a question now that I have this all set up I have added a SQL instance can you point me in the right direction in the SQL to use the instance ion the server?

Thanks
Post #1245191
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse