Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««45678

The Sixty-Second Guide to becoming a SQL Server DBA Expand / Collapse
Author

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, June 13, 2014 3:03 PM
Not sure what interviewer you are referring to but... what was the point of that comment? If I didn't see it on the exam then the exam is invalid??

Yes, I know a little about DBCC ShowContig. I teach both SQL Server 2005 and 2008 classes including IS, RS, AS, implementing, maintenance and Transact-SQL. (Yes I am aware of your credentials and their relative weight to my meager experience) But only a small percentage of what I cover is on the exams, mostly an in-depth understanding of the basics, but not necessarily every Transact-SQL statement on msdn, my point being you may have a pretty solid grasp on the basics but maybe not have heard of some statements. Probably not THAT one but I am not totally surprised. How much experience should the MCITP exams test for? For someone with 10 years or so they have a DIFFERENT certification called Microsoft Certified Masters (as you probably well know). Maybe this is more in line with the level of knowledge that you expect from a mere MCITP... hehe... perhaps the MCITP is more highly rated than it deserves. It's not a Doctoral degree, just a certification that might make you an extra $5k a year or so at the right company. The MCM is a much more intense and thorough evaluation of your DBA skills and is meant for only the most serious data cowboys (they have MCM's for many different areas, too, right?). Maybe that is the one that might add value to your resume. That is... if you are up to it My guess is, with your background, you very well might be. I know I'm not.... yet.

Happy trials!!! (mispell intentional)

Peter Trast
Microsoft Certified ...(insert many literal strings here)
Microsoft Design Architect with Alexander Open Systems
Post #846609
Posted Tuesday, January 12, 2010 4:50 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:57 PM
Yes, they have MCM's for Exchange, Windows Server Active Directory, Office Comminucations Server, SharePoint, and SQL Server.

I'm taking the SQL MCM in the spring.

My blog: SQL Soldier
Twitter: @SQLSoldier
My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
Principal DBA: Outerwall, Inc.
Also available for consulting: SQL DBA Master
Post #846631
Posted Tuesday, February 2, 2010 6:16 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 7:48 AM
Man, do I ever agree with that! Books are great but having an experienced Mentor to teach and guide you, even if it's just an hour a day, is worth his/her weight in gold.

--Jeff Moden

Nice Jeff

Can you spare me some time ... just as soon as I figure how to cross the pond

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.

Anon.

Post #857889
Posted Tuesday, February 2, 2010 6:18 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 7:48 AM
Oh! And btw Barry nice article

Short and succinct

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.

Anon.

Post #857890
Posted Tuesday, February 2, 2010 6:07 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:58 AM
David Burrows (2/2/2010)
Man, do I ever agree with that! Books are great but having an experienced Mentor to teach and guide you, even if it's just an hour a day, is worth his/her weight in gold.

--Jeff Moden

Nice Jeff

Can you spare me some time ... just as soon as I figure how to cross the pond

Just a couple of more years, David. My understanding is that the Gulf Stream is going to shut down due to glacial melt caused by global warming and we should be able to drive across on the ice. I'm going to open up a beer and pork chop stand half way across. Of course, it'll be WIFI enabled.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #858342
Posted Tuesday, February 2, 2010 8:41 PM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Thursday, June 5, 2014 10:54 AM
David Burrows (2/2/2010)
Oh! And btw Barry nice article

Short and succinct

thanks, dave!

-- RBarryYoung, (302)375-0451 blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung
Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
"Performance is our middle name."
Post #858378
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««45678