Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

The Sixty-Second Guide to becoming a SQL Server DBA Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, December 3, 2009 8:15 PM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 1:19 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Sixty-Second Guide to becoming a SQL Server DBA

-- RBarryYoung, (302)375-0451 blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung
Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
"Performance is our middle name."
Post #828605
Posted Thursday, December 3, 2009 10:42 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, April 18, 2011 8:08 PM
I found it rather distasteful and degrading to title this article like this. I spent weeks to earn a certificate, accumulated years of experience working as SQL Server DBA (from 6.5 to 2008). Following the instructions this guide is providing I would not trust the SQL Server Compact addition to be administered by the candidates getting their SQL Server DBA training this way.
Julien
Post #828644
Posted Thursday, December 3, 2009 11:56 PM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Um, nothing in the title or the article implies that it takes 60-Seconds to become a DBA, and the the content of the article obviously argues the opposite. The title is an allusion to the brevity of the article itself wherein it only takes a minute to read and understand the outline of this program to become a DBA.

As for your distrust of anyone following this guide, I think that is both irrational and unfounded as it is essentially the path that I followed, and I am fairly sure that many other top SQL Server folks here have also followed a similar path.

Further I am fairly confident that most folks following this path conscientiously and diligently would be among the best DBAs and SQL Developers. If you think that there is a better program accessible to our readers then please feel free to present it.

Post #828656
Posted Friday, December 4, 2009 12:00 AM

SSCrazy Eights

Julien.Chappel (12/3/2009)
...I would not trust the SQL Server Compact addition to be administered...

And frankly, this makes no sense at all, who said any thing about Compact Edition and what relevance does it have to this discussion?

Post #828657
Posted Friday, December 4, 2009 12:21 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 3:32 PM
Yowch! Tough crowd!

I agree... I don't see anything in the title or the text that suggests you can become a DBA in 60 seconds (although it did catch my attention ). Nor do I see anything that belittles anyone's fine efforts or experience of becoming a DBA whether by accident or by plan.

What I do see is 5 excellent starter steps towards becoming a DBA. If folks take the time to read them, they represent a substantial investment in time, effort, and maybe even money (for the certs/tests). Barry is also correct in another area... I can't speak for anyone else but I recommend similar (if not identical) steps to many on this forum because I've personally followed most of those steps. I'm actually pretty happy that Barry turned these into an article so that I can stop typing them as a recommendation over and over and over...

Nicely done, Barry. I hope people take the time to read these the right way.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #828659
Posted Friday, December 4, 2009 12:29 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 3:32 PM
RBarryYoung (12/4/2009)
Julien.Chappel (12/3/2009)
...I would not trust the SQL Server Compact addition to be administered...

And frankly, this makes no sense at all, who said any thing about Compact Edition and what relevance does it have to this discussion?

I believe he meant that he wouldn't trust even the simplest form of SQL Server to someone who didn't learn the ropes correctly. I hope people understand that the steps in your article are the steps one should take to start learning "the ropes" correctly.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #828663
Posted Friday, December 4, 2009 2:02 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, October 17, 2014 8:46 AM
just study through them and learn the answers

well... i can't agree this one.
study through them, yes, learn throught them also, understanding, learning mechanisms is right.
Learning answers and become a parrot... what a disappointing speech.

My MCP Transcript (ID : 692471 Access : 109741229)
Post #828688
Posted Friday, December 4, 2009 3:38 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, November 17, 2014 2:43 AM
I'd have to agree with this too. I thought it spoiled what was actually not a bad and reasonably informative article. I think as well, if you're suggesting using the Microsoft study guides then you might put more details about them in the post - or at least a link to them?
Post #828734
Posted Friday, December 4, 2009 3:40 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 2:15 AM
I've been struggling to learn the ropes as a DBA for nearly a year now and a simple quick intro like this would have been useful to me when I started.

Of course you should also set www.sqlservercentral.com as you home page!

Thanks, John
Post #828735
Posted Friday, December 4, 2009 5:00 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 3:27 AM
Dude76 (12/4/2009)
just study through them and learn the answers

well... i can't agree this one.
study through them, yes, learn throught them also, understanding, learning mechanisms is right.
Learning answers and become a parrot... what a disappointing speech.

I don't for a second believe that Barry meant learning by rote here.
Post #828756
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse