Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««34567»»

Missing green arrow on the sql server icon in object explore Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, July 7, 2011 6:19 AM
Hi,

I resolved the isssue in Win2K8 by running MSSMS as and administartor. Even though you have local admin access to the Server the issue still persists. I think it is caused by having UAC enabled. Hope this helps.
Post #1126678
Posted Friday, June 17, 2011 1:13 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, March 4, 2014 10:03 AM
Thanks for the reply but I am using XP (so UAC wouldnt be involved) and while I am not logged in as Administrator my AD account is an admin of my machine and all SQL boxes.

Thanks anyway.

Adam Zacks

-------------------------------------------

Be Nice, Or Leave
Post #1127108
Posted Monday, July 11, 2011 12:11 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:49 AM
I am having the same problem. I am running Windows 2003 R2 SP2 and SQL 2005. It was working fine, but IT upgraded the server from Standard to Enterprise. Any suggestions. I have tried everything on this post.
Post #1139949
Posted Tuesday, July 12, 2011 3:10 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

What is you issue?
This thread is about using a SQL Server 2005 Ent 64-bit A/P cluster through SSMS 2008. Your issue sounds different.

Start from the begining, what are the details?

Adam Zacks

Be Nice, Or Leave
Post #1140189
Posted Tuesday, July 12, 2011 6:55 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:49 AM
My issue is the same as the first post " I can't use right-click the instance icon to select "start", "stop", "pause", "resume" or "restart" because they are all grayed out. But all the rest operations are available" I don't think it is related to a specific version. I found something yesterday that I am going to try that says it is related to the SQL clinet.
Post #1140278
Posted Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:38 AM

Ten Centuries

bbrown 40722 (7/12/2011)
My issue is the same as the first post " I can't use right-click the instance icon to select "start", "stop", "pause", "resume" or "restart" because they are all grayed out. But all the rest operations are available" I don't think it is related to a specific version. I found something yesterday that I am going to try that says it is related to the SQL clinet.

If that your issue, it is likely to be permissions related. What you need to have is access to view the 'Server State'.

The first thing to try is to run ssms and connect to the instance as the login used for the sql service (assuming its a domain account). That should work fine.

Now check that the same account has been setup for lock pages in memory, do this: Run:gpedit.msc --> Computer Config --> Windows Settings --> Security Settings --> Local Policies --> User Rights and ensure that Lock Pages in Memory is set to the same account as you service account (this will have to be a domain account).

Once that is done get your user or dba group (if multiple users) setup in the local admin group of the server. Really all you should need is access to Services but it never hurts to have Admin (for backup file permissions and various others).

Let me know and good luck.

Adam Zacks

Be Nice, Or Leave
Post #1140310
Posted Monday, August 15, 2011 7:48 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 11:10 AM
I know this is years late, but i was under the impression the green arrow had to do with the state of SQL Server Agent configuration. Can anyone give clarity on this. I just wanted to clarify this.
Post #1159989
Posted Monday, August 15, 2011 8:24 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, August 15, 2011 8:22 AM
Permissions are consistent across all servers, regardless of OS/version. Service control state is inconsistent regardless of OS/version.
Post #1160020
Posted Wednesday, August 24, 2011 11:58 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, September 4, 2014 10:57 AM
I still cannot get this to work on my local SSMS client. It's running the same version as on the server. My problem pertains to clustered instances running 2K8 R2 Enterprise. I can gain control of he services state locally on my wkstn if I register the physical cluster node name but the virtual name just gives me the circle. The weird thing is I log onto the virtual host name and connect to the instance and all is well there. Just not my local 2005 client. Any idea on what I have to tweak on my local client in SSMS or within windows to get this to work (green arrow) so I can control all aspects of services and more importantly SSCM. The exact error message i get when accessing SSCM is below.

Cannot connect to WMI provider. You do not have permission or the server is unreachable. Note that you can only manage SQL Server 2005 servers with SQL Server Configuration manager. The RPC server is unavailable [0x800706ba]

Any clues?
Post #1164901
Posted Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:30 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:14 AM
I had the same issue in SSMS and also while using Central Management Server. I found if i had registered the instance with the port defined, for example: SQLHost\Instance, 1433, I got the white circle and could not control the services from there. If I remove the port portion, I get the green arrow and I am able to control the services. Just figured I'd chime in, since this fixed my issue. BTW, I am connecting to SQL 2000, 2005, 2008 and 2008 R2. All of them had the same issue.
Post #1165699
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««34567»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse