Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Missing green arrow on the sql server icon in object explore Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, November 26, 2009 12:51 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, March 24, 2014 6:52 PM
'sa' is used for sql authentication. I assume this should have the highest privilege of all.

Bazinga!
Post #825338
Posted Thursday, November 26, 2009 9:31 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:49 PM
This issue frequently occurs if you do not have administrative permissions to stop, start, or restart services.

Verify that you have adequate permissions to start services on the server where sql is installed.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #825436
Posted Friday, November 27, 2009 2:44 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

I really don't want this thread sink in vain like all others that I can find from Google.

I used the 'sa' account and SQL Server authentication to connection from my workstation to the server and I believe 'sa' has sufficient privilege to start, stop or restart the SQL Server service.

I also tried remote desktop the server directly, log on to SSMS by 'sa' again and the green arrow appears fine.

Bazinga!
Post #825497
Posted Friday, November 27, 2009 2:47 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Thursday, March 27, 2014 2:29 PM
xnleiden (11/27/2009)
I really don't want this thread sink in vain like all others that I can find from Google.

I used the 'sa' account and SQL Server authentication to connection from my workstation to the server and I believe 'sa' has sufficient privilege to start, stop or restart the SQL Server service.

I also tried remote desktop the server directly, log on to SSMS by 'sa' again and the green arrow appears fine.

Its got nothing to do with being able to start/stop the services, its all to do with if your windows account has access to see the services state. go to start, run and type services.msc, change the machine name to the server your connecting to in ssms and see if you can see the sql services, i bet you wont be able too.
Post #825500
Posted Friday, November 27, 2009 3:18 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

Hello Animal Magic

I did try services.msc and connect it to the server and all start, stop and restart options are there for MSSQLSERVER service.

And the windows account I used for log on to my local workstation is a domain admin FYI.

Could you please advise me a bit more? Thanks.

Animal Magic (11/27/2009)
xnleiden (11/27/2009)

Its got nothing to do with being able to start/stop the services, its all to do with if your windows account has access to see the services state. go to start, run and type services.msc, change the machine name to the server your connecting to in ssms and see if you can see the sql services, i bet you wont be able too.

Bazinga!
Post #825517
Posted Friday, November 27, 2009 3:33 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Thursday, March 27, 2014 2:29 PM
ok thats interesting. does anyone else have SSMS on their machine, and if so is the service state missing for them too?

one other thing to try, connect to the server in SSMS using the IP address and see if you get the same result as with the server name
Post #825527
Posted Friday, November 27, 2009 5:57 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 10:03 AM
This might be a stupid question but are you running the SQL 2008 client?

I have found that for some reason, a SQL 2005 Ent 64-bit cluster state cannot be seen by the 2008 client (even if the windows account is a local admin of said node and cluster).

Aggree with Animal that providing your a local admin of the server your connecting to (and assuming there are no client incompatibilities) the server state should be reported fine.

Adam Zacks

-------------------------------------------

Be Nice, Or Leave
Post #825584
Posted Friday, November 27, 2009 6:44 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

Hello guys

Till now, I almost give up. I've tried probably everything that I can, using IP address directly for connection, make sure that my domain admin account is also in the administrator group on the server etc. But still no luck.

Bazinga!
Post #825598
Posted Friday, November 27, 2009 10:23 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:49 PM
xnleiden (11/27/2009)
Hello Animal Magic

I did try services.msc and connect it to the server and all start, stop and restart options are there for MSSQLSERVER service.

And the windows account I used for log on to my local workstation is a domain admin FYI.

Could you please advise me a bit more? Thanks.

So you are able to start and stop services from the same account that launched SSMS, when you use services.msc?

What version of the Tools are you using?
Is this an issue for all SQL Instances?
Is the domain admin account the same account you are using to start sql services by chance?
Are the sql services using a domain account?
Do you have the same issue when connecting to the instance using your domain account via SSMS, and not SA?

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #825694
Posted Friday, November 27, 2009 2:55 PM

SSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:21 PM
I use a SQL account with admin access when working from home. I can't start and stop the SQL Server services using this account. If I need to, I remote in to my desktop at work and use my network id to access the servers and stop and start services from there.

I have an idea on how to change that, but haven't had the time to test it. Perhaps early next week I will, as I am not sure if I will have time this weekend.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #825766
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse