Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Microsoft Business Intelligence Project Booster Kit Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, November 24, 2009 12:03 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, March 13, 2011 4:45 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Microsoft Business Intelligence Project Booster Kit
Post #823701
Posted Tuesday, November 24, 2009 3:39 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Monday, July 14, 2014 2:45 AM
Mate, I think you'll find Jamie Thomson is a man... unless he's not telling us something?
Post #823752
Posted Tuesday, November 24, 2009 4:19 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

I came to know that just before 1 month. But this article was submitted long before that. My apollogies for the same. Pardon me Jamie, you can beat me up for that during the User Group meeting on 26th
Post #823763
Posted Tuesday, November 24, 2009 4:34 AM
Grasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 4:29 AM
Hi siddarth,

couple of things captured my interest:
- creating stored procedures for reports; is this wise in a MS BI environment? with a datawarehouse and cubes, one of things I found out best to use is a 3rd party report/analysis tool which truly uses the cubes. This saves a lot of effort; there is pretty much stuff, MS gold partners out there, delivering things at the level of pro-clarity
- documentation; although the product is not at the level to show full interdependancies, the BI documenter will be of use to many
- use the metadata fields in the database, as well descriptions in cube dimensions to extract them with automated tools
Post #823769
Posted Tuesday, November 24, 2009 4:50 AM
Grasshopper

I agree. When one has the leisure of purchasing licenses of 3rd party tools, one can always do that.
I have just tried to list tools that incurrs no cost.

Also using of stored procedures is/was required in the 2005 SSRS version. Even in DW environments, operational reporting can be a requirement when one wants to compensate for real time refresh of data from cubes. Cubes generally are refreshed at specific intervals, and the data generally changed during those intervals is facilitated thru operational reporting using operational reports right from the OLTP system.

This is my viewpoint. Thanks for your feedback.
Post #823775
Posted Tuesday, November 24, 2009 4:57 AM
Grasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 4:29 AM
Hi Siddarth

When talking about 2005 and/or operational reporting, yes, I agree stored procedures work well.
Post #823777
Posted Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:13 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:12 AM
This is an interesting kit! I wonder how hard it is to understand!

Bella
Post #823965
Posted Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:32 AM
Grasshopper

I didn't get the meaning. If you would like to see something in this kit, or something that you didn't think belongs to this kit, please add your feedback. In case if you feel that this idea is garbage, in that case thanks for reading this article.
Post #823982
Posted Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:42 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:40 AM
I loved this! thanks!

Mike
Post #823986
Posted Tuesday, November 24, 2009 10:37 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:32 PM
Nice Article

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #824031