Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Database defintion from an Excel Spec? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:46 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, July 4, 2013 2:16 PM
I liked the article. Easy to follow and understand. I have been consulting for more than 20 years and I have only found this situation a few times. But those were always ugly and the conditions by which the "politics" occured was equally unique. I disagree with the earlier criticism about 3rd party vendor control and our ability to demand information. I have faced these exact problems in state and federal government situations as well as private sector. The fact is, I do not think you have a lot of outside exposure if you believe you can impose your own policies on the parties you are working with. Keep in mind, and this is to those who are wanting to be judgemental, if it was easy, you probably would not have been called in the first place. Always good to ask for the simple to be possible, but accept the reality that in most cases, people are usually not that stupid and they *always* have their reasons. Otherwise, go work for a single company and then you can impose your policies according to your stupendously supportive boss :)
upwards and onwards!

Post #817790
Posted Thursday, November 12, 2009 7:21 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, April 8, 2011 8:55 AM
I was basing the 10K on the 80 hours estimated in the article @ $100 /hour plus a few hours of debugging, tweaking etc.
Post #817815
Posted Thursday, November 12, 2009 7:44 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Today @ 2:33 AM
dcawvive (11/12/2009)
I was basing the 10K on the 80 hours estimated in the article @ $100 /hour plus a few hours of debugging, tweaking etc.

Currency conversion issue
I'm working in £, you're dealing with $

Post #817834
Posted Thursday, November 12, 2009 7:49 AM

Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Friday, May 16, 2014 7:20 PM
What I meant to say in my first post is that programmers should know what a programmer's editor can do and when to use it. Time estimates based on document editing when what's needed is a programmer's editor are way high-- unconscionable to contemplate charging your client for many hours of work when half an hour will do it.

Post #817841
Posted Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:36 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, November 15, 2013 3:14 AM
katesl (11/12/2009)
What I meant to say in my first post is that programmers should know what a programmer's editor can do and when to use it. Time estimates based on document editing when what's needed is a programmer's editor are way high-- unconscionable to contemplate charging your client for many hours of work when half an hour will do it.

£50 an hour no way, I wouldn't get out of bed for that

Post #817889
Posted Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:49 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Thursday, February 6, 2014 12:59 PM
I had a similar challenge and I did it to myself. We underwent a new database design for the next generation of one of our products. We decided to "do it right" rather than the old way of "add a column when you have something to save".

We also have common columns (not fields) in most of the tables. There are intersection tables and relationship tables that don't need the common columns. So while parsing my column definition file if I came up with a table that was not defined I issued a CREATE TABLE statement. After that it was ALTER TABLE all the way. My tool is in .Net and I used text files.

What is surprising is that somebody bought a 3rd party product that has no views or stored procedures at all. I have several major works in production that way but no more. Did they give you no guidance whatever as to indexing? It could be that you left that out for the sake of the article. Please say that this is true. If not then you are being very kind by not outing the vendor. Bone up on your missing index DMV.

ATB

Charles Kincaid

Post #817905
Posted Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:57 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 1:41 AM
Hi,

I'm using a similar approach to generate tables, indexes and stored procedures to build and populate data warehouses, all from Excel.
Basically you have one tool to create, maintain and generate your mappings. Plus, they're documented.

I use VBA to generate all the database objects.

René

Kind regards,
René Berends
Post #817912
Posted Thursday, November 12, 2009 9:01 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, March 24, 2011 6:24 PM
Why not use SQL Server Integration Services? In SSIS 2008, you can use the import/export wizard to specify the input as an Excel file. You can then choose to create a table, rather than move the sheet to an existing one.
Granted, you'd have to use the wizard once for each sheet, but from the specs that sounds easier.
Of course, there can be some pesky data typing issues...
Post #817915
Posted Thursday, November 12, 2009 9:04 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Thursday, February 6, 2014 12:59 PM
rsteckly (11/12/2009)
Why not use SQL Server Integration Services? ...
Because his spreadsheet has specifications for that date and not the actual data.

ATB

Charles Kincaid

Post #817917
Posted Thursday, November 12, 2009 9:06 AM
Grasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, March 24, 2011 6:24 PM
Duh. Right, sorry.
Post #817919
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse