Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Database defintion from an Excel Spec? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, November 12, 2009 12:18 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, April 11, 2014 10:36 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Database defintion from an Excel Spec?
Post #817632
Posted Thursday, November 12, 2009 12:44 AM

Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Thursday, January 23, 2014 9:23 AM
I know the big vendors want to hold programmers captive in their IDEs (studios) but I'll never give up the programmer's editor that I use -- Epsilon. Using Epsilon macros and its regular expression search-and-replace, it's so easy to make scripts from text and to clean huge datasets.

Post #817642
Posted Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:07 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:14 AM
Nice article but why do you say you will never need to use this again?

I've been using Excel to design tables for a few years, table designs can then easily be shared with the rest of the team, comments can be added and changes easily made. Its also fairly easy to lift the data from Excel and drop it into Word for the design documentation.

Once the design is final its a quick job to build the create table/index/foreign key scripts as your article details.

Post #817659
Posted Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:24 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Thursday, April 17, 2014 8:20 AM
When the software is a major application designed and tested by a third party, that third party is required to install it on our servers and prove it working before it can be signed off (and they get paid).
No way would I get into that awful situation in the first place but well done for finding a solution.
Post #817711
Posted Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:40 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, November 15, 2013 3:14 AM
Nice Spreadsheet, in my job , I Tend to get the Data in the Tables rather the the Spec's , it is up to me/the team to decide the specifications

Eventually , as I seemed to be doing it on a daily basis I ended up writing some VBA which Analyzed all the Data in the Columns and then built the Tables around the information , this tended to save me much more time. I haven't used it since I upgrade to Excel 2007 and Therefore I have not updated the Context menu's that let me execute this

But at some point I'll do that and put up Post for it

There is usually some minor alterations , like setting Keys and and Adding a couple of Columns , but most of the leg work is done so its just tweaks

Post #817716
Posted Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:53 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, April 17, 2014 11:50 AM
In the old version of Kimball's Data Warehouse Toolkit" book there is an excel spreadsheet that can be used to design databases and create/execute DDL. That goes back to 1997 and I recall it's pretty good.

Just a thought...
Post #817721
Posted Thursday, November 12, 2009 5:43 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, April 08, 2011 8:55 AM
That's a good workaround but there are modeling tools available that will build a database, logical and physical models from a spreadsheet. Then again, some of the contractors I have dealt with would gladly bill 80 hours to type in table definitions. Why would you deal with a vendor that wouldn't supply a build script? Did the person that purchased this product factor in the additional 10K in cost just to begin to set up the program?
Post #817749
Posted Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:12 AM
SSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, November 15, 2013 3:14 AM
you mean I could get 10k just for writing a script ... right im on that :)

Post #817762
Posted Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:14 AM
Old Hand

With some vendors, once you get past the shiney sales patter and have been convinced into signing on the dotted line, can be very obstructive.
Post #817766
Posted Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:16 AM
Old Hand

hickymanz (11/12/2009)
you mean I could get 10k just for writing a script ... right im on that :)

Unfortunately only the big consultancies can get away with charging £1000 per day for consultants.
Post #817769
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse