Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««872873874875876»»»

Today's Random Word! Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Friday, December 27, 2013 12:14 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, December 26, 2014 9:20 AM
SQLRNNR (12/27/2013)
L' Eomot Inversé (12/27/2013)
Revenant (12/27/2013)
SQLRNNR (12/27/2013)
hive

Registry
Registrar

Registrant

Curiae Regis
Post #1526239
Posted Friday, December 27, 2013 12:36 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 3:10 PM
Home-working

"El" Jerry.

"A watt of Ottawa" - Gerardo Galvan

To better understand your help request, please follow these best practices.
Post #1526242
Posted Sunday, December 29, 2013 12:02 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:17 PM
eccentricDBA (12/27/2013)

Curiae Regis

Areopagus Basiléou

Tom
Post #1526358
Posted Monday, December 30, 2013 12:44 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 1:35 AM
L' Eomot Inversé (12/29/2013)

Curiae Regis

Areopagus Basiléou

Not for the first, and certainly not for the last time on this site, I'm going to have to show my ignorance. Even the almighty font of knowledge that is Google can't shed a great deal of light on that I've got as far as I think it's a palace on hill that may, or may not, be a court of appeal. Is Basileou a form of basileia or basileos\us?

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
—Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help
Post #1526404
Posted Tuesday, December 31, 2013 8:45 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:17 PM
BWFC (12/30/2013)

Curiae Regis

Areopagus Basiléou

Not for the first, and certainly not for the last time on this site, I'm going to have to show my ignorance. Even the almighty font of knowledge that is Google can't shed a great deal of light on that I've got as far as I think it's a palace on hill that may, or may not, be a court of appeal. Is Basileou a form of basileia or basileos\us?

Well, Basiléou is a direct translation of Regis, it's the genitive singular case of Basileos, it means "of a King" (or "of the King" in some contexts).
I was a bit surprised to see Curiae Regis turning up in response to Registrant, since Curiae means something like "meeting place of the senate" and Regis means "of a/the King", so the phrase must mean someting like "King's senate house". My Roman history is a bit weak, but I don't think Rome has a senate when it had a king, so "King's Senate House" would be a bad translation - probably "King's Council Chamber" is no better, but might be about right - anyway, I couldn't see the connection with "Registrant". Of course it may be modern legal Latin, not ancient Latin, and mean something completely unrelated to the classical meaning of Curiae, but if so I don't know what that is, although "court" seems possible. But I remember something about early Greeks having a place (Areopagus or Areopagos) at which people gathered together to provide advice to the King. Not the King of Greece, of course, as there was no such person, but the King of some tiny part of Greece. Perhaps the King of Athens, maybe of somewhere else, maybe of nowhere in particular - I can't remember whether Areopagos was one particular place or the term for any place used for that sort of important meeting. Anyway, Areopagus Basiléou might be a reasonable translation of Curiae Regis into another classical language and it would avoid the built-in anachronism which I think the Latin version has. But my ancient Greek history is as bad as my Roman history, and my classical Greek language skills don't exist, so I could be completely wrong.

Tom
Post #1526771
Posted Wednesday, January 1, 2014 5:02 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 6:12 PM
tire

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1526957
Posted Wednesday, January 1, 2014 7:02 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Friday, October 24, 2014 12:43 PM
SQLRNNR (1/1/2014)
tire

tired
Post #1526967
Posted Thursday, January 2, 2014 3:19 AM
Ten Centuries

L' Eomot Inversé (12/31/2013)
BWFC (12/30/2013)

Curiae Regis

Areopagus Basiléou

Well, Basiléou is a direct translation of Regis, it's the genitive singular case of Basileos, it means "of a King" (or "of the King" in some contexts).
I was a bit surprised to see Curiae Regis turning up in response to Registrant, since Curiae means something like "meeting place of the senate" and Regis means "of a/the King", so the phrase must mean someting like "King's senate house". My Roman history is a bit weak, but I don't think Rome has a senate when it had a king, so "King's Senate House" would be a bad translation - probably "King's Council Chamber" is no better, but might be about right - anyway, I couldn't see the connection with "Registrant". Of course it may be modern legal Latin, not ancient Latin, and mean something completely unrelated to the classical meaning of Curiae, but if so I don't know what that is, although "court" seems possible. But I remember something about early Greeks having a place (Areopagus or Areopagos) at which people gathered together to provide advice to the King. Not the King of Greece, of course, as there was no such person, but the King of some tiny part of Greece. Perhaps the King of Athens, maybe of somewhere else, maybe of nowhere in particular - I can't remember whether Areopagos was one particular place or the term for any place used for that sort of important meeting. Anyway, Areopagus Basiléou might be a reasonable translation of Curiae Regis into another classical language and it would avoid the built-in anachronism which I think the Latin version has. But my ancient Greek history is as bad as my Roman history, and my classical Greek language skills don't exist, so I could be completely wrong.

Thanks Tom, you never know what you're going to learn around these parts. According to Wikipedia the Areopagus was near the Acropolis so the King of Athens makes sense. I think I've found yet another area in which I need to brush up my knowledge!

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

Post #1527024
Posted Thursday, January 2, 2014 6:24 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 11:36 AM
Revenant (1/1/2014)
SQLRNNR (1/1/2014)
tire

tired
Sleep

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1527079
Posted Thursday, January 2, 2014 6:37 AM
Ten Centuries

Ed Wagner (1/2/2014)
Revenant (1/1/2014)
SQLRNNR (1/1/2014)
tire

tired
Sleep

Needed

Post #1527087
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««872873874875876»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse