Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

I vant your blud! Expand / Collapse
Author
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, April 04, 2014 8:42 AM
I've given my share over the decade, 6 + gallons. Stopped now due to flu season in the area being rampant and other schedule conflicts. Debated continuing, the local donation centers make it a big hassle for no reward, it's like spitting in the face of a wind storm.
Post #811513
Posted Friday, October 30, 2009 7:01 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 12:23 PM
I was a "double red" donor for several years and a blood donor for 15 years. Unfortunately, I had a little encounter with Mr. Cancer so I'm not allowed to donate until I've been cancer free for five years. I'm at 2.5 years now so I have high hopes that I will be able to begin donating again in another 2.5 years.

Donating is easy, takes little time, and there are usually some excellent goodies to be had after donating. The place I usually donate is an Elks lodge and one of the volunteers makes this really great chili. It's worth it just for the chili.

"Beliefs" get in the way of learning.
Post #811525
Posted Friday, October 30, 2009 7:14 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Wednesday, October 03, 2012 8:35 AM
I have been giving blood for 35 years ( a grad school classmate had a blood disorder and needed donations). Many people first give to help a friend and then continue giving to help many strangers. I try to give every 8 weeks.

I have heard people say they were afraid to give blood because they might catch something. Not true, you don't catch anything by giving blood. Recently, a family member gave blood for the first time, for herself, prior to surgery. She was surprised at how easy and painless it was and promised to donate blood in the future.

In my area, blood is often needed most at holidays. They say people are busy so donations are down at those times. Often people travel on holiday weekends and there are more traffic accidents, upping the need for blood.

My most moving donation story is 9/11/2001. I waited, with many others here in New Orleans, LA, USA, for 8 hours at the blood center to give blood for the victims of the world trade center. I met people who had never donated blood before but wanted to do something to help. Sadly, there were few survivors...

If you are a healthy person, giving blood is a simple way to help others. In addition, donating blood once a year covers my family with free blood product for a year should it be needed.

Terri

To speak algebraically, Mr. M. is execrable, but Mr. C. is
(x+1)-ecrable.
Edgar Allan Poe
[Discussing fellow writers Cornelius Mathews and William Ellery Channing.]
Post #811538
Posted Friday, October 30, 2009 7:16 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 2:28 PM
Donating blood is easy, painless (except for the needle ), and a nice thing to do. And, you get free juice and cookies. What could be ebtter than that. Before the military, I gave blood regularly. Now, because of hepatitis exposure in the service, I am unable too. I now volunteer and help out at the blood drives.

Great editorial!
Post #811544
Posted Friday, October 30, 2009 7:37 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 10:04 AM
I give blood every 2 months (as often as allowed). Can't do the double-red thing, have a reaction to the anticoagulent used in that, so just give whole blood. Did it yesterday, as a matter of fact.

One thing to be added to this: Selling your blood, while populare in certain low-income crowds, isn't the same thing. In the US, purchased blood can't be used medically, so its main use is in cosmetics (it's an ingredient in the binding compounds used in lipstick - and knowing that makes lipstick more than a little icky). To save lives, the blood has to be donated through specific organizations. Make sure, before you donate, that it'll go to medical use, not be sold to cosmetics companies.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #811570
Posted Friday, October 30, 2009 7:51 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 4:29 PM
Great points, GSquared. It's good to let people know that selling blood doesn't necessarily help others with their lives.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #811591
Posted Friday, October 30, 2009 7:55 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Friday, March 21, 2014 11:15 AM
I gave blood while in the military and then with my present employer for at least 10 years until the Red Cross changed their rules and now they don't want mine because I lived in Europe during mad cow disease time. I think it's a bad decision by the Red Cross as I don't have mad cow disease and they lost a large number of ex military who were frequent blood donors.
Hopy you recover from your illness.
Post #811598
Posted Friday, October 30, 2009 9:23 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 10:10 AM
I've been a donor for the past 4 years. What got me started was donating plasma for my son. He needed heart surgery when he was 10 months old. I'll never, in my whole life, forget the hope I felt when a total stranger came into the donation center and said she was donating for a child she'd never met. As it turns out, she was a friend of my sisters and that was how she heard about his need.

I've donated ever since. Usually plasma, sometimes double reds... whatever they ask for. I'm O negative, so they ask me a lot!

Thanks for the post... people need to know how important this is.
Post #811683
Posted Friday, October 30, 2009 9:27 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:42 AM
I, too, lived in the UK during the mad cow hoopla, and as a consequence the U.S. forbids me from donating... I have heard they are going to start easing this restriction, though. Good luck.

Post #811688
Posted Friday, October 30, 2009 9:52 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:35 AM
I'll second the call for healthy people to donate. I never even thought about donating blood for over 20 years, then decided I wanted to do something to help after 9/11. I was surprised at how easy and painless it is and I've donated regularly ever since.

We have regularly scheduled donation days with a mobile blood center unit at work which makes it even more convenient. Takes about 30 minutes and I get cookies and juice!

Greg
Post #811717
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse