Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

A Neural Network in SQL Server Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 7:11 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item A Neural Network in SQL Server
Post #809090
Posted Monday, October 26, 2009 11:27 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, June 6, 2014 12:28 AM
i had a tough time building a neural network. i used mathematical functions to 'amplify', update then recast the result prior to output. it seemed the training would never end.

close to the end, i was thinking of allowing decimal values instead of integer values. i was maybe thinking, with decimal values it would look fuzzy enough to be accurate.

i had moved on to another company, leaving the project and with a heavy 'agreement of silence' signed just so i could leave clean.
Post #809093
Posted Tuesday, October 27, 2009 2:30 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:08 AM
Great and unusual article related to database. Would it be possible to share the source code?

Cheers
Post #809136
Posted Tuesday, October 27, 2009 4:21 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 11:26 PM
Very ineresting, and very well explained.
Looking for the next session - can you share the source ?

Thanks

Isaac
Post #809183
Posted Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:06 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 7:11 AM
Thanks for you comments.
I will elaborate on the code and how it works in an incoming article, where I'll include the training and testing of the network

Silvia
Post #809196
Posted Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:07 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, November 5, 2009 1:16 PM
Hi Silvia: Thanks very much for sharing your methodology, and am really interested in reading your next posting! I've had some success emulating NNs in Excel, but scale becomes an issue eventually. Best Wishes, Michael
Post #809197
Posted Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:55 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, January 7, 2011 3:12 PM
Thank you for sharing! Well written and understandable for me.
I am just starting to use SQL Server 2005/2008 as a tool specifically for developing data storage design to be used in predictive analysis as the end goal.
I am very happy to be able to get some insight to the development this early in the journey! MJWehr
Post #809228
Posted Tuesday, October 27, 2009 6:28 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Tuesday, December 7, 2010 8:19 AM
I am aware that SSAS has full blown Econometrics built into the SSAS package capable of performing more than just neural nets...we're talking a full slate of linear regression/non-linear regression/discrete choice/arima/two-stage least squares/vector auto regression/co-integration...everything you would find in SAS or SPSS.

At the end of the day, you still need to get the data into the SSAS tool which is amazingly difficult...and why SQL Server is not a first choice among data analysts for handling statistical analytics.
Post #809242
Posted Tuesday, October 27, 2009 6:29 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 3:19 AM
I can see that you can do this using SQL server but I fail to see any benefit to using SQL Server rather than wirting some code using a normal computer language like C.
Surely it is much slower using SQL Server?
Post #809244
Posted Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:17 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 8:53 AM
jacroberts (10/27/2009)
I can see that you can do this using SQL server but I fail to see any benefit to using SQL Server rather than wirting some code using a normal computer language like C.
Surely it is much slower using SQL Server?

First, I take offense at your characterization of SQL as not a "normal computer language" -- unless, of course, you mean that it's above normal. Second, I laugh at your characterization of C as normal in any way.

On a serious note, sometimes programming isn't about performance, or even about successfully accomplishing a task, but about learning. From the introduction to the article, it's clear that Silvia wasn't trying to create the most efficient or useful neural network, but more interested in how two programming concepts (a relational database and a neural network) might be brought together.

Also, bear in mind that many organizations can justify a SQL programmer where they can't justify a .NET or C programmer -- and they may benefit greatly from a neural network in SQL.
Post #809390
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse