Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Server Not Found Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:27 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 2:46 PM
I have a VS2008 application and a database on SQL Server 2005 Express installed on the SQLEXPRESS instance on the local computer (same computer running the application). Until about a week ago when I had 18 security updates installed by Microsoft everything was working fine but now I cannot connect to the database getting a "server not found or not accessible" error (Named Pipes Provider error 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server). I can connect to the database from SQL Server Management Studio and can get a connection to the database from within VS2008 without problem but the application will not connect. I have resorted to Integrated Security and am using this connection string:

.ConnectionString = "Data Source=AGM_T3500\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=MAPS;Integrated Security=SSPI"

This connection string works both in the Server Explorer in VS2008 and in Management Studio. What would make it not work from the application?

I have SQL Server configured for both Windows and SQL Server authentication and have the server configured to allow remote connections.

Any suggestions will be most appreciated.
Post #807475
Posted Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:35 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Friday, January 03, 2014 3:52 PM
IS it an ADO.NET or OLEDB connection string.. It makes a difference..

CEWII
Post #807477
Posted Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:45 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

ADO.NET. I don't understand how I can construct the connection from Server Explorer in VS2008 and it connects fine but then fails when the application runs using the exact same connection string. I just tried it using SQL Server authentication and, again, it works fine in Server Explorer but not when the app runs. Thanks for the prompt reply.
Post #807482
Posted Thursday, October 22, 2009 11:20 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Friday, January 03, 2014 3:52 PM
And you are using the SQLClient and not the oledbclient? Then that is wierd..

CEWII
Post #807611
Posted Friday, October 23, 2009 1:13 PM
Forum Newbie

Yes, the SqlClient.SqlConnection. What is most wierd about it is that everything was working fine until I applied the security updates last week, then it stopped working. I don't know if that is cause and effect or just coincidence but it is sure suspicious - I couldn't find anything about that on an internet search. My development gurus at work suggested that I try the ODBC connection to see if that works so I guess I will try that next.
Post #808129
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse