Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Squeezing the DBA Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, September 2, 2009 9:24 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 4:05 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Squeezing the DBA

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #781921
Posted Wednesday, September 2, 2009 11:13 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 1:05 AM
Hi Steve

Interesting read..
Here in South Africa the economy is also in it's worst state at the moment, in the middle of a "technical recession".

Difficult to say what one would actually do in a situation like this. At the end of the day being honest, keeping your integrity, and sticking to your values would be the safest bet.

The trouble for participating in illegal action like this would be worse than losing your job, and fighting it in court afterwards.

Cooking figures goes against all ethics DBA's "vow" to.
We are supposed to be the keepers of all private information. These kind of actions would affect more than initially involved, and could bring a business to its knees given the worst cicumstances.

----------------------------------------------
Msg 8134, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Divide by zero error encountered.
Post #781925
Posted Thursday, September 3, 2009 12:48 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 7:25 PM
You may be able to head these types of request off at the pass by building the right kind of reputation. People wont ask you if they think you wont do it, or if they think you are likely to blow the whistle on them.
Post #781954
Posted Thursday, September 3, 2009 3:54 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, April 12, 2013 2:03 PM
Not participating in the act will cause you problems I think, and if you quit because of that, it will effect your future careers.

The best thing i can think of is to have some emergency that will take you away from work for a some time. Look for a new job, and give a different excuse to quit (related to the emergency).
Post #782035
Posted Thursday, September 3, 2009 4:30 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, August 15, 2014 3:04 AM
Very good editorial.

The thing that most people forget is guilty by association, the fact that you were aware but not directly or indirectly involved, can has serious reprecussions on your future career. Most financial organisations, have an ethics committee or confidential helpline.

Even if you have a sniff of something you are concerned about, it is your duty to report it. and that comes direct from the employees handbook. if it is found out after the fact that you did nothing. you can lose your job and even be barred from working in the industry.

In my opinion, always report anything you are unhappy about. I have worked enough in the financial industry to know how ruthless people/management can be, when they need to be.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and
solve commonly asked questions

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden
Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw
How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw
Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw
Post #782059
Posted Thursday, September 3, 2009 6:20 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 4:21 PM
That's a tough question. There are so many comparisons these days between our current financial situation and the Great Depression. I don't think most of the comparisons hold up, but we are in tight financial times, as they were then. In the book "Forgotten Man," a great history of the Depression, the statement was made, "The depression wasn't so bad if you had a job." Since upwards of 70% of people were employed, even during the depression, most people did OK. My wife and I just watched a documentary, Girl 127. It was all about how a young girl was raped by a studio exec and it was covered up by the studio with the help of the doctors, lawyers, and even the girl's mother, all of whom owed their living to the studio during the depression. The one guy that really stood out was the parking lot attendent who witnessed the rapist running away. He helped the girl, filed a report with the police, but then, the studio offered him a better job with a lifetime contract. His story changed. Everyone thinks they would act in a moral fashion in any given situation, but until you're there... you never know.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #782102
Posted Thursday, September 3, 2009 6:34 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 5:21 AM
Grant Fritchey (9/3/2009)
That's a tough question. There are so many comparisons these days between our current financial situation and the Great Depression. I don't think most of the comparisons hold up, but we are in tight financial times, as they were then. In the book "Forgotten Man," a great history of the Depression, the statement was made, "The depression wasn't so bad if you had a job." Since upwards of 70% of people were employed, even during the depression, most people did OK. My wife and I just watched a documentary, Girl 127. It was all about how a young girl was raped by a studio exec and it was covered up by the studio with the help of the doctors, lawyers, and even the girl's mother, all of whom owed their living to the studio during the depression. The one guy that really stood out was the parking lot attendent who witnessed the rapist running away. He helped the girl, filed a report with the police, but then, the studio offered him a better job with a lifetime contract. His story changed. Everyone thinks they would act in a moral fashion in any given situation, but until you're there... you never know.

I fully agree with you Grant. We all might say but we will take the morrally correct thing until we come to the point where we now stand before a decision: standup to corruption and lose my job or keep my job and do the corrupt thing. I think in times like these we will prove our real value.

Manie Verster
Developer
Johannesburg
South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)
Post #782109
Posted Thursday, September 3, 2009 7:14 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:09 PM
My economist of choice, Robert Frank conducted a study of economists found in his book Passions Within Reason and found that they are less cooperative than average. In cooperative games, they decide to act in their own self interest more often. Frank suggests that the immersive study in materialism shapes the perception of the economists. They start thinking that everyone is materialistic and self-interested and nobody cooperates. So they don't cooperate either.

The takeaway is that the perception of what other people are doing has a strong effect on a person's decisions. It would be too bad if the "economist effect" started to happen in the DBA profession.

I think I know many people who would do the right thing even if it hurt them financially or in some other way. The truth is, many people out there don't act in a strictly materialistic fashion. They give to charity without people knowing about it, they donate blood, they pay their taxes, they raise children in a responsible way, the list goes on. So if you find yourself in the bind that Steve talks about and do the right thing, you're in good company.

Bill Nicolich: www.SQLFave.com.
Daily tweet of what's new and interesting: AppendNow
Post #782136
Posted Thursday, September 3, 2009 7:19 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 5:29 AM
Grant Fritchey (9/3/2009)
Everyone thinks they would act in a moral fashion in any given situation, but until you're there... you never know.

Fully agree with that. It is very easy when you're looking at someone else's situation, or a hypothetical one, to say with confidence what you would or wouldn't do, but it is very different when you're confronted with the reality.
Post #782138
Posted Thursday, September 3, 2009 7:20 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:43 PM
Failure to report a known crime is conspiracy, which can actually be worse than committing the crime in some cases. In most cases, conspiracy to commit a misdemeanor is a felony.

In that kind of situation, I'd report it the moment I knew about it, or suspected it and had any data to back that up. My ethics are more important to me than my paycheck.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #782140
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse