Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

What Data Should You Protect? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 5:42 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item What Data Should You Protect?

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #779528
Posted Sunday, August 30, 2009 1:31 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 10:57 AM
Before I even read the article, I'll say "all of it".

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #779627
Posted Sunday, August 30, 2009 1:40 PM

SSC-Dedicated

Heh... and now that I've read the article, I'll say again... "All of it".

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
Post #779629
Posted Sunday, August 30, 2009 1:42 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 11:47 AM
Edit: Nevermind. Did like Jeff and commented before reading and read protect as in backup up, not protect as in secure.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #779632
Posted Sunday, August 30, 2009 3:08 PM

SSC-Dedicated

Easy to say all of it, but sometimes you need to make choices, especially with encryption. Doing the whole database can have a detrimental effect on performance.

Post #779642
Posted Sunday, August 30, 2009 4:29 PM

SSC-Dedicated

Steve Jones - Editor (8/30/2009)
Easy to say all of it, but sometimes you need to make choices, especially with encryption. Doing the whole database can have a detrimental effect on performance.

Nope... didn't mean encrypt it all... limit access. BUT... I was mostly referring to personal information... that MUST be protected. To use your example about birthdates... why would any "casual" user need someone's birthdate? The answer is almost always "never".

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #779651
Posted Monday, August 31, 2009 8:49 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:43 PM
The point of the data about birthdate and Zip code isn't that knowing those allows someone to figure out who you are, it's that those data are adequate to operate as a PK for people in most circumstances.

If you really want to see how much is already available about you out there, take a look at http:\\snitch.name. It's pretty darn easy to find out data about someone on there. It's not really paranoia to assume that everything about you is already known.

Privacy is an illusion. The difference between now and 100 years ago is that now it's cheaper and easier to find out someone's facts. That's all.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #779947
Posted Monday, August 31, 2009 11:20 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Hey, I came up first on Snitch! That doesn't happen often. Usually Steve Jones starts with the muscian, golfer, professor or basketball player.

Post #780078
Posted Monday, August 31, 2009 12:23 PM

SSC-Dedicated

Steve Jones - Editor (8/31/2009)
Hey, I came up first on Snitch! That doesn't happen often. Usually Steve Jones starts with the muscian, golfer, professor or basketball player.

Heh... Celko's picture came up as one of my possible pictures... I'm gonna sue!

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #780133
Posted Monday, August 31, 2009 12:38 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:43 PM
Steve Jones - Editor (8/31/2009)

And here I was, assuming you were this multi-tallented shape-shifter born on different days in different years.

Internet stalking is only fun till you realize it goes both ways.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #780150
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse