Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Audti Trial for a single user Expand / Collapse
Author
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, September 7, 2012 7:13 PM
Hello

For business requirements I want to create another sysadmin account called "sa2" and give it to the Software Developers/Business Analysts to use so they can perform their duties. What I want to do is implement a audit trail for that user only to capture any update/delete as well as creating databases, indexes, fields etc...pretty much everything for that user. We use SQL 2005 and 2008.

Have anyone done this before? Your help/advice is muchly appreciated.

Thanks
Brandon
Post #776425
Posted Wednesday, August 26, 2009 2:36 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Thursday, December 5, 2013 12:31 PM
By audit trail you mean sql profiler trace? You can track all these activities in the sql trace. Use the blank template and put the filters on loginname and the the operations you want to track.
Post #777864
Posted Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:14 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, September 7, 2012 7:13 PM
Hi

Thanks for your advice.

I prefer not to use Profiler as it can consume CPU...and I want to be able to run this constantly.

Any other suggestions is appreciated.

Regards
Brandon
Post #777990
Posted Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:25 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Saturday, July 26, 2014 11:00 AM
WAGalaxy (8/24/2009)
Hello

For business requirements I want to create another sysadmin account called "sa2" and give it to the Software Developers/Business Analysts to use so they can perform their duties. What I want to do is implement a audit trail for that user only to capture any update/delete as well as creating databases, indexes, fields etc...pretty much everything for that user. We use SQL 2005 and 2008.

Have anyone done this before? Your help/advice is muchly appreciated.

Thanks
Brandon

First thing I would ask, is why a sysadmin account, is this on a production server or on a test/development box. if you can lower the permissions needed for this user. then what you will need to audit with be smaller.

you can use audits in sql 2008 or in sql 2005, you can use server triggers. but both include quite a bit of work to implement properly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and
solve commonly asked questions

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden
Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw
How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw
Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw
Post #778101
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse