Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Protection Close To Home Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 5:13 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Protection Close To Home

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #774739
Posted Friday, August 21, 2009 3:59 AM

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, February 5, 2013 4:24 AM
I did think about getting a home server with raid but because of the cost (read credit crunch) I decided to use the free online offerings like www.mesh.com . The only problem with this is that it forces you to select the info that you want to replicate/backup. I also backup my info to a removable hdd.

Everything you can imagine is real.

Post #774874
Posted Friday, August 21, 2009 4:51 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, October 31, 2013 3:11 AM
I actually have HP's Media Smart Server, which runs Windows Home Server.
It's incredible.

It has 4 drive bays, one is full already with the OS and some storage space, the rest you can fill up as/when you need to. It does also have some e-Sata connections and USB connections, but I dont use these.

The server then does two things for backing up.

Firstly, there is a small client which you can install on the other PCs on your network. This client then backs up each drive on it's host to the server (Resulting in each pc being completely backed up every night). It will then flag any issues with backups and ask you to remedy the problem.

Secondly, it uses folder duplication.
It allows you to easily create shared folders on it's drives, and you can tick a box to duplicate the folder. If this is ticked it will keep a copy of the folder on two separate drives in it's bays.

The best part being that since I installed it, I've hardly had to do anything at all.
Post #774902
Posted Friday, August 21, 2009 5:49 AM

UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: Wednesday, January 2, 2013 12:15 PM
Steve,
I'm paranoid about losing stuff. I have RAID (mirroring) on my home pc, a NAS device I use for backup and filesharing and external drives I use for backups. I also have a older 2nd pc I use to copy stuff off onto.

That said, I've been investigating off-site storage, like Mozy and Idrive, as well as a few others.

Wondering if anyone else is doing off-site stuff? and how it's working out?
Post #774950
Posted Friday, August 21, 2009 5:55 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, October 31, 2013 3:11 AM
I'm thinking I need to do some kind of off-site stuff, but it will just be things like photos and written data (the stuff which can't just be re-purchased or re-downloaded).
I need to get myself sorted out first, but would love to hear how you get on?
Post #774953
Posted Friday, August 21, 2009 6:23 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:01 AM
I don't use RAID. I'd rather use several copies on separate devices. My backing up is done to USB hard drives which run only when I am doing a backup, so they have very low mileage.

In business, with multiple people constantaly accessing data, RAID pays off (at least in primary storage). For home use, it's probably less helpful.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
Post #774977
Posted Friday, August 21, 2009 6:48 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Friday, May 23, 2014 12:02 PM
Just an external USB HDD connected to my desktop PC. I use SyncBackPro to back up all of the important folders to the HDD nightly. I also have the wife's laptop running SyncBackPro and backing up to the same USB HDD. Everything has been working like a champ.

Post #774991
Posted Friday, August 21, 2009 6:52 AM

UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: Wednesday, January 2, 2013 12:15 PM
Ben Moorhouse (8/21/2009)
I'm thinking I need to do some kind of off-site stuff, but it will just be things like photos and written data (the stuff which can't just be re-purchased or re-downloaded).
I need to get myself sorted out first, but would love to hear how you get on?

Ben - check out Mozy.com, and idrive.com, although there are probably others. they are 2 I know of. Haven't pulled the trigger on one yet.
Post #774998
Posted Friday, August 21, 2009 7:08 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Sunday, July 3, 2011 7:09 AM
Steve, please tell me that you aren't implying that a RAID setup is a good substitution for a proper backup strategy!

Random Technical Stuff
Post #775016
Posted Friday, August 21, 2009 7:13 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:09 AM
Surprisingly, most of the important data on my home pc can be backed up to a flash drive. Although I am starting to build up a library of photos and was just starting to look at backup options, so this poll came at the right time. I will look at the options others have already given and look forward to other recommendations.
Post #775023
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse