Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Linked AS400 stopped working Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, December 8, 2010 8:21 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 11:11 AM
Thanks! Worked like a charm.
Post #1031917
Posted Thursday, April 14, 2011 10:58 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, July 18, 2011 1:17 PM

Does anyone know if this was ever resolved? I can consistantly reproduce the error with 2008 R2 by restarting the server, and resolve by opening the Linked Server Object window with Management Studio. I am using IBMDA400 on a non-clustered server if these are significant.

The system (not clustered) is being used for manually initiated tests only, so I do not know if the error could occur at other times.

Rick Fisher
Post #1093679
Posted Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:24 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Today @ 8:37 AM
The highly questionable 'technique' of opening the properties worked. Since that time the issue has not recurred.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
Post #1093693
Posted Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:39 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, July 18, 2011 1:17 PM
thanks for response. did you mean management studio "open", or one of the 'code' suggestions. IF Micorsoft or IBM will ne resolve, I need an automatic solution, either at startup or perhaps after error detected.

Post #1093703
Posted Wednesday, May 21, 2014 9:15 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, June 20, 2014 2:18 PM
Did you ever find a working solution for this? I am having the same issue
Post #1573240
Posted Wednesday, May 21, 2014 5:47 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 4:24 PM
John Cooper (5/21/2014)
Did you ever find a working solution for this? I am having the same issue

Read two posts above yours. Try that to see if it works. It has worked for me.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1573377
Posted Thursday, May 22, 2014 7:30 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Thanks Jeff,

That's what I have been doing is opening it in SSMS, clicking on properties and then OK.
I was wondering if someone had found a better way. I manage 45 servers with 5 Linked Servers each so even though the properties
tab thing works, it's not practical.

I wonder if there is a programmatic way of doing it maybe? I'm going to investigate that.
Post #1573572
Posted Thursday, May 22, 2014 7:53 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 12:31 PM
John Cooper (5/22/2014)
Thanks Jeff,

That's what I have been doing is opening it in SSMS, clicking on properties and then OK.
I was wondering if someone had found a better way. I manage 45 servers with 5 Linked Servers each so even though the properties
tab thing works, it's not practical.

I wonder if there is a programmatic way of doing it maybe? I'm going to investigate that.

I'd do a trace/xevent session against a dev server when opening the linked server properties window to identify what that actually does and then maybe try running a script that duplicates those actions against another dev server to see if it fixes the problem.

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
Post #1573586
Posted Thursday, May 22, 2014 4:35 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Thanks Jack !

After much trial and error I found the trick.

I set up a scheduled job that runs every 5 minutes that executes this statement:

exec sp_enum_oledb_providers

This is the magic statement executed when you click on properties and then click OK.
Post #1573828
Posted Thursday, May 22, 2014 7:05 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 4:24 PM
John Cooper (5/22/2014)
Thanks Jack !

After much trial and error I found the trick.

I set up a scheduled job that runs every 5 minutes that executes this statement:

exec sp_enum_oledb_providers

This is the magic statement executed when you click on properties and then click OK.

Haven't done a deep dive on it but that seems like a very nice trick. Thanks for posting it.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1573854
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse