Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Quality of Outsourcing Staff Expand / Collapse
Author
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, April 25, 2014 8:31 AM
GilaMonster (8/17/2009)
rjv_rnjn(8/17/2009)
I guess, OP was talking specifically about offshore outsourcing.
He was?
Unless I am reading the whole first post wrong! {I don't think title of the thread alone should be considered}
Silverfox (8/17/2009)
I still wonder how the company exists considering the people that were flown over to do knowledge transfer, didnt know one end of a database from another, and the other thing that was funny, is that some of the systems had to remain in the uk, because of the sensitivity of the data, how on earth it could be supported from india, I have no idea.

Confirmed! :)
Silverfox (8/17/2009)
I was talking about offshore outsourcing where the entire it function is offshored...
I am with you on this point. This should never be done and there are multitudes of examples where it went wrong.

Silverfox (8/17/2009)
... and for the record I have seen a lot of work both development including .net and tsql where there is absolutely no understanding of the tool used. To put it bluntly we have to send the code back or do it ourselves.
Silverfox (8/17/2009)
When I get asked about simple select queries and the syntax for restoring a database...
Really??? I guess you guys have got a really bad vendor or you are exaggerating.

Silverfox (8/17/2009)
It makes you wonder how companies that outsource their it keep on running.
The world has its mysterious ways!
Post #772175
Posted Monday, August 17, 2009 12:42 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 12:12 PM
At my current company we've tried one offshore outsourcing of a single development project because it would "save money" not to mention deliver the project faster, and it would work better, and require less management time to implement, and make our mouth fresher... Anyway, it was an unmitigated disaster. It ran longer than the original in-house programming estimates. Cost WAY more than it would have, didn't work right, at all, at any step in the process, took more time from the management team than they've ever had to give to the in-house projects, and I never got that full minty-fresh feeling.

I have to say, I was very nervous leading into the experiment, but it failed so badly that the nervousness just went away, along with the outsourcing company. BTW, we successfully rewrote the app in less time than our initial estimates.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #772176
Posted Monday, August 17, 2009 1:59 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:43 PM
My main outsourcing experience started with the owner of the company we would be ourtsourcing to flying to the US to meet us.

He took one look at the database I'd built, condemned the many "newbie mistakes" in it (he was right, that version of the database was junk by my current standards), and proceded to tell the owners of the company I worked for about how it would all be so much better once they had taken over all of the IT functions except hardware maintenance.

The contract was signed, and less than 6 hours later, one of their devs had run an unrestricted update in the production database that reset all customer passwords to some multisylabic word that I don't remember and couldn't pronounce at the time anyway. This locked out everyone from their data, which resulted in refunds being needed in order to keep customers.

Fortunately, I had audit logging set up, and was able to recover all the passwords.

We were promised that the person responsible had been fired and this would never, ever happen again. While they were on the phone promising that, another person there ran another unrestricted update, on the orders table this time, messing up every order that had ever been placed. Again, audit logs allowed me to fix the problem in relatively short order. Again, refunds had to happen to placate understandably upset (and confused) customers.

While this was beginning to feel like the credits for Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail ("those responsible for sacking the people responsible for the credits have been sacked"), it had considerably less entertainment value.

So I locked them out of the production server entirely, and my boss, one of the company owners, explained to them that their services would not be needed for any database work, and negotiated a change of contract where they would only be working on .NET development for us, and all database development would go through me. (When you consider that I still didn't even know what "normal forms" were, and hadn't figured out what "relational" meant, and that I was the better of the two options, you'll begin to see the magnitude of suck here.)

The company that was doing all of our .NET work then proceded to work out a routine for speccing out work for these guys to do, and rapidly found that it took less time to write the code in the first place than it took to write a detailed enough specification in order to get something that would approach the desired functionality. Within a month, the cost of outsourcing the software development was greater than the cost of writing it locally, and the contract was terminated.

Now, nobody at our company lost their jobs over this. Had it worked out well, I would have gone back to sales and marketing, and would have been making more money on that anyway. So I didn't have any emotional stake in their failure. But wow did they fail!

I haven't experienced any other attempts at outsourcing (offshoring, to be more precise), but I certainly hope this was atypically bad.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #772232
Posted Monday, August 17, 2009 3:00 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Friday, April 25, 2014 8:31 AM
GSquared (8/17/2009)
While this was beginning to feel like the credits for Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail ("those responsible for sacking the people responsible for the credits have been sacked"), it had considerably less entertainment value.
Yes, The Updaters beats Monty Python any given day.

I just realized one surprising thing. Nowhere on any of the boards, have I heard people narrating a good experience with offshore s/w professionals and still that industry seems to be bulging all the time (maybe not now in this economic environment). Is it one of those anomalies?
Post #772292
Posted Monday, August 17, 2009 3:41 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 1:59 PM
rjv_rnjn (8/17/2009)
GSquared (8/17/2009)
Yes, The Updaters beats Monty Python any given day.

I just realized one surprising thing. Nowhere on any of the boards, have I heard people narrating a good experience with offshore s/w professionals and still that industry seems to be bulging all the time (maybe not now in this economic environment). Is it one of those anomalies?

Proven through various studies, word of mouth advertising the best (or worst) for a company. Studies show that an individual with a good experience with a company will talk to 3 others. A person with a bad experience will talk to 11 others. So, the moral, avoid bad word of mouth advertising. Do good by all your customers!

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #772328
Posted Monday, August 17, 2009 8:51 PM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Friday, July 18, 2014 1:54 AM
The point is not seeing you $$ for value, its management who feels that they saves $$ by outsourcing. If the quality of service was so bad and all the work was useless. I don't think that any sensible managment in the world can afford to outsource keep going.

You can move to management itself to save your future jobs :)

Best Regards,

Vijay Mishra

Post #772402
Posted Tuesday, August 18, 2009 1:18 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 2:09 AM
It will be a cold day in hell, before I even think about moving into management, havent sunk that low

Just found out that the client I am working for atm, has just outsourced to HCL. The sense of impending doom is approaching.

Checking them out on the net. I find some interesting quotes from their CEO

"When questioned about his firm's US hiring, Information Week reports that Vineet Nayar, the CEO of the Indian outsourcing giant HCL Technologies, showed he can stereotype with the best of them, telling an audience in NYC that most American tech grads are 'unemployable.' Explaining that Americans are far less willing than students from developing economies like India, China, and Brazil to master the 'boring' details of tech process and methodology, the HCL chief added that most Americans are just too expensive to train. HCL, which was reportedly awarded a secretive $170 million outsourcing contract by Microsoft last April, gets a personal thumbs-up from Steve Ballmer for 'walking the extra mile.' Ballmer was busy last week pitching more H-1B visas as the cure for America's job ills at The National Summit."

I have also seen another quote from this CEO, saying 'Americans suck at IT'.

I have also seen a post on these forums, where someone has said that their developers are terrible

My contract renewal is up in 7 weeks, if they try and force me to sign with HCL. It will be time for this old soldier to move on and find another battlefield

anyone else had dealings with HCL, love to hear your experiences.

~Silverfox~

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and
solve commonly asked questions

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden
Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw
How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw
Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw
Post #772452
Posted Tuesday, August 18, 2009 7:45 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 2:28 PM
What's HCL?

I'm after wary of outsourcing companies since they are so cost driven as to place that above being effective. That can be frustrating.

If your CEO thinks the US is that bad, perhaps it's just time to move on.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #772708
Posted Tuesday, August 18, 2009 7:49 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Sunday, July 6, 2014 3:07 PM
HCL is an indian company providing IT outsourcing services.

Pradeep Singh
Post #772714
Posted Tuesday, August 18, 2009 7:50 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 2:09 AM
well Steve m8, the Quotes are from the CEO of HCL and HCL is

HCL Technologies www.hcltech.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and
solve commonly asked questions

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden
Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw
How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw
Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw
Post #772719
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse