Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Installation of SQL Server 2005 on cluster returns error Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:42 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, April 07, 2014 3:06 PM
I looked and the resources are online.

Post #769734
Posted Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:44 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Can someone to confirm whether you have to install "EVERYTHING" on the D: drive? I thought with clustering, it installs on the second server for you behind the scenes. You just point the resource "which is the database" on the D: drive. That is what fails over back and forth between the 2 servers.
Post #769738
Posted Wednesday, August 12, 2009 4:04 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:22 PM
Hi Patricia,

Usually the binaries are installed on the local drives of each node, but the datafiles (.mdf and .ldf) have to be placed on the SAN. If the datafiles are installed on the local drives like D, during the failover the failed over instance cannot function on the new node.

Thank You,

Best Regards,
SQLBuddy
Post #769753
Posted Wednesday, August 12, 2009 4:12 PM
SSC Veteran

Thank you that is what I thought and that is what I am doing. I still can't get this to install. I searched the internet and there is some info that I may not have the rights as an administrator. But the Windows SA's have confirmed that I do. So I don't understand.
Post #769755
Posted Thursday, August 13, 2009 7:48 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 12:05 PM
Patricia Johnson (8/12/2009)
I looked and the resources are online.

I just want to confirm that all the resources are online?

In my case when I went to do the install, the resources I intended to use were online, but there was a different cluster resource group with several offline storage resources. Until I brought them online as well, I could not install, and was given the same error message.

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
Post #770155
Posted Thursday, August 13, 2009 9:21 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:22 PM
Hi Patrica,

Suppose you have a 3 node cluster with Node A, Node B and Node C. Suppose you are doing the installation on node A, then there are 2 places in the installation process where you have to assign Drive letters to the SQL Server files

1. During the FEATURE SELECTION SCREEN, you have to specify the folder location for the SQL Server binaries. The location you specify must be on the local disks.

On the feature selection screen,

Click “Browse” to select directory “SQLBinariesPath\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server”.

Note that SQLBinariesPath must be either C or D drives. Suppose if you choose D , then the same drive D should also be available on Node B and Node C as their own local drive. Other the failover clustering doesn't work.

2. On the CLUSTER GROUP SELECTION screen , first you have choose a dedicated cluster group (Which is not being Used by any other sql server instances) for the sql server instance you are installing and then

Select DataDrive from available drives in cluster group.

DataDrive can be any drive on the SAN. It must be visible to the other nodes in the cluster. Also LOCAL DRIVES should NOT be used for placing the Databases. If the databases are placed on the local drive like D, the failover clustering will fail.

Thank You,

Best Regards,
SQLBuddy

Post #770256
Posted Thursday, August 13, 2009 10:32 AM
SSC Veteran

Hey Guys,

I wanted to let you know what I found...

On the passive node, for some reason the C$ share was missing. We are not sure how that happened because it was needed for cluster services to be installed.

We added the share back and rebooted. Then restarted the installation and I got past the problem.

Thank you for all your time with helping me.

I've got another problem so I will start a new post. The installation failed again for some other weird reason. I'm fishing thru the logs to find what it might be.

Thanks again.
Patti
Post #770315
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse