Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Installation of SQL Server 2005 on cluster returns error Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, August 12, 2009 2:15 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 12:39 PM
I am receiving this error message when I try to install SQL Server 2005 Std on a clustered server.

The drive specified cannot be used for program location. Program files must be installed on a valid disk available on all cluster nodes. The valid values are:

There are no drives listed. It is blank. I can't get around this error.

Does anyone know what I need to do to fix this?

Post #769660
Posted Wednesday, August 12, 2009 2:29 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 12:13 PM
Do all your nodes have the same local drive settings?
For example, you have local drives C and D on one node, and they should be present on all the other nodes too.
Post #769674
Posted Wednesday, August 12, 2009 2:36 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, July 28, 2014 2:57 PM
Hi Patricia,

AFAIK the program files must be installed on the local drive i.e usually C or D drives.

Thank You,

Best Regards,
SQLBuddy
Post #769680
Posted Wednesday, August 12, 2009 2:48 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Yes they are. The D: drive is the clustered drive.
Post #769688
Posted Wednesday, August 12, 2009 2:54 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 7:33 AM
for the disk you want to install SQL on, be sure you can move the disk resource to all the nodes in your cluster using cluster administrator.
Post #769694
Posted Wednesday, August 12, 2009 2:58 PM
SSC Veteran

Right now all I am trying to do is install on the C drive and it still doesn't work. I usually point the data files to the D: drive and that is where the database will reside.
Post #769699
Posted Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:04 PM
Ten Centuries

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 7:33 AM
you have to install SQL to a disk that on SAN storage that can be moved or "failed over" to any of the nodes. that way, if there is a hardware failure on nodeA, it moves those disks to the other node.
Post #769705
Posted Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:04 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 8:35 AM
I remember seeing this...

Do you have any offline storage resources in your cluster groups? I had this exact problem when I had an offline disk that I had no intention to use. Bringing the storage resource online solved it for me.

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
Post #769707
Posted Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:14 PM
SSC Veteran

I will have to look at that. Right now the Windows SA's are looking at the server. I had this problem before and I don't remember what I did to resolve it. What is weird is there are no drive letters listed. They are blank. I am not sure what log to look at. Most of the logs have way to much information that you have to have a Dr's degree to understand them.
Post #769713
Posted Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:19 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 8:35 AM
Patricia Johnson (8/12/2009)
I will have to look at that. Right now the Windows SA's are looking at the server. I had this problem before and I don't remember what I did to resolve it. What is weird is there are no drive letters listed.

That's what makes me point to an offline disk resource somewhere in the cluster. I had that problem before, and that's what literally caused it.

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
Post #769717
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse