Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««12345»»

Slicing and Dicing Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, August 13, 2009 12:47 PM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, July 7, 2014 1:15 PM
jpowers (8/12/2009)
Personally, I would prefer to pay only for the channels I watch. I see no reason why they can't allow us to pay just for our preferred entertainment.

I'm sure everyone would like to reduce their costs by excluding the channels they never watch. The flip side is that some of those channels that you do want to watch might not exist any more, or they might charge more to receive than you have saved by not bundling. It all depends on whether you like the mainstream channels or something a little more obscure.
Post #770425
Posted Thursday, August 13, 2009 12:58 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 2:37 PM
matt stockham (8/13/2009)
jpowers (8/12/2009)
Personally, I would prefer to pay only for the channels I watch. I see no reason why they can't allow us to pay just for our preferred entertainment.

I'm sure everyone would like to reduce their costs by excluding the channels they never watch. The flip side is that some of those channels that you do want to watch might not exist any more, or they might charge more to receive than you have saved by not bundling. It all depends on whether you like the mainstream channels or something a little more obscure.

The other side of the coin is that it may actually be cheaper for the cable/satellite companies to get the extra channels many people may not watch than to not get them from the various content providers. Bundling may be more cost effective for them as well.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #770436
Posted Thursday, August 13, 2009 12:59 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 8:59 AM
jpowers (8/12/2009)

But at least you'd be paying for value that you wanted, rather than fluff you did not, to the possible exclusion of what you do want.

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #770437
Posted Thursday, August 13, 2009 1:02 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:03 PM
jpowers (8/12/2009)

You mean more than what I'm paying now for a bundle? In any case, let the market and tastes decide the fate of those individual channels. Right now, we get only those bundles where the cable companies have negotiated favorably. It's not based on demand. Last year, in my area, we had trouble getting pay-per-view NFL because of contract disputes between NFL and cable company though the demand was extremely high.
Post #770442
Posted Thursday, August 13, 2009 6:25 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 2:26 PM
And there's the rub, we don't get to negotiate things, or get more choice. We also get what is negotiated, which definitely isn't always a good thing for consumers.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #770597
Posted Monday, August 17, 2009 9:13 AM

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 7:51 AM
jcrawf02 (8/13/2009)
jpowers (8/12/2009)

But at least you'd be paying for value that you wanted, rather than fluff you did not, to the possible exclusion of what you do want.

Not necessarily...

Have you noticed the new trend, where on one and the same channel there is bundling? Take for example SyFy channel (named that way because English was unbundled in the educational package? Not sure...), which now not only hosts various gradations of Science Fiction and Fantasy series and movies, but also features Wrestling. How can I unbundle that...?
Post #771994
Posted Monday, August 17, 2009 9:31 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:43 PM
Ronald Bruintjes (8/17/2009)
jcrawf02 (8/13/2009)
jpowers (8/12/2009)

Not necessarily...

Have you noticed the new trend, where on one and the same channel there is bundling? Take for example SyFy channel (named that way because English was unbundled in the educational package? Not sure...), which now not only hosts various gradations of Science Fiction and Fantasy series and movies, but also features Wrestling. How can I unbundle that...?

I feel old when I type that I can remember when MTV was a medium for watching music videos....

I consol myself on that point when I realize that I'm not old enough to remember when TV news was about information, instead of about marketing and political indoctrination.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #772010
Posted Monday, August 17, 2009 10:11 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 8:59 AM
Ronald Bruintjes (8/17/2009)Have you noticed the new trend, where on one and the same channel there is bundling? Take for example SyFy channel (named that way because English was unbundled in the educational package? Not sure...), which now not only hosts various gradations of Science Fiction and Fantasy series and movies, but also features Wrestling. How can I unbundle that...?

Funny, but I happen to agree with their categorization of Wrestling into Fantasy.....

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #772061
Posted Saturday, October 3, 2009 1:29 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Today @ 2:37 PM
I believe most of the opinions against bundling, and the 'free-choice' perspective might have their sustained reasons. However, bundling allows a small member of a business model to take a proportional part of it. In the case of Golf Channel, it couldn't be possible for them to compete with ESPN nor FOX Sport, in example. Nevertheless, they have the part of the "pie" that they are entitled to; and of course, its TV technicians, IT technicians, journalists, and reporters, grow up everyday as professionals, and feed their families thanks to that.
Post #797431
Posted Saturday, October 3, 2009 9:32 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 10:11 AM
Heh... it doesn't matter if anything is bundled or not... you're still going to pay too much.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
Post #797495
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««12345»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse