Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Slicing and Dicing Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, August 12, 2009 8:01 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, November 14, 2013 11:33 AM
I think I have to add that this isn't really about the 'music experience'. This is about the music cartels no longer being able to keep a CD priced at $15 (one of the few things that has YET to see a price drop despite the fact the cost to create it has dropped like a rock) - so, yes, it certainly does affect the money. The question is, of course, is this a bad thing? We aren't talking about thin margins here - the cost to produce a CD is fairly quickly recovered and it becomes a very high profit item very quickly. The entire music business model is skewed - the top 5 bands make 90% of the money (my exagerated numbers - but it's something along those lines) - I fail to see why we should want to see that model revived. Personally, I see the new attempt at re-forging to the digital album as simply a way to get back to gouging people. That said, I'm all for choice - as long as we continue to be able to buy seperate tracks (and we will, because the moment that stops, welcome back to the days of napster. That genie is way out of the bottle) I'm fine with whatever other buying options they want to offer. The one great thing about all of this is they are fully aware there is price tipping point. They jump tracks up to $3, people will simply go back to pirating. I always said the moment you can easily get a track for $1, most people won't bother to pirate. I'd rather hop on amazon, find it, preview it and zap it to my MP3 folder for .99.

The irony here is that the music companies create the monster they are now dealing with. They stuck their heads in the sand as the digital age grew bigger and bigger. They clung to their $15 albums for as long as they could - but in doing so, they released the MP3 onto the world. People knew there was a better, cheaper solution and they went looking. Had they bother to keep up and move with the times, they could have actually kept some control. Now it's too late.

Can't say I agree much with the idea that the 1 or 2 tracks on an album are some how made better by the other 8-10 crap tracks on it - but again, whatever floats your boat. Choice is a good thing.
Post #769323
Posted Wednesday, August 12, 2009 8:12 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:45 PM
Rick Todd (8/12/2009)
Hey Steve, you should get your son a Zune Pass for a couple of months and see what he thinks. Basically it's all-you-can-eat music for as long as you're subscribed. You can download whatever you want and listen to it on up to 3 computers, and (I think) 2 Zunes. Since the music is DRMed it has to be played through the Zune software or through a Zune device.

I thought about that, and might try it. He doesn't buy a lot of music (yet), so buying a few MP3s from amazon and iTunes and sharing them with him has worked well so far.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #769336
Posted Wednesday, August 12, 2009 9:03 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Monday, October 21, 2013 10:48 AM
blandry said:
Last time we hired a DBA I was stunned at how many applicants had good SQL skills, but Zero .NET, Zero CLR skills. I know, I know, some find this "okay" - I do not. I think its silly to try to be a DBA without these base skills.

This topic has come up before. It seems like you are talking about a database developer (or a hybrid administrator/developer). I have taken 3 university classes in .Net (about 4 years ago) and I have never used them. Larger companies tend to seperate job roles more, and i think calling everone who works on a database a DBA is misleading. It is like lumping application server admins in with developers.

Some companies like to mix the skill sets up, some do not.

Post #769382
Posted Wednesday, August 12, 2009 9:12 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:17 PM
ChrisMoix (8/12/2009)
blandry said:
Last time we hired a DBA I was stunned at how many applicants had good SQL skills, but Zero .NET, Zero CLR skills. I know, I know, some find this "okay" - I do not. I think its silly to try to be a DBA without these base skills.

This topic has come up before. It seems like you are talking about a database developer (or a hybrid administrator/developer). I have taken 3 university classes in .Net (about 4 years ago) and I have never used them. Larger companies tend to seperate job roles more, and i think calling everone who works on a database a DBA is misleading. It is like lumping application server admins in with developers.

Some companies like to mix the skill sets up, some do not.

Consider also, not every shop is going to use CLR in their databases. If someone comes from a such a shop, they won't necessarily have those skills or knowledge. Doesn't mean they can't learn it.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #769393
Posted Wednesday, August 12, 2009 9:41 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 10:11 AM
"...it helps to counter the natural instincts that so many people have to minimize their expenditures for their own benefits".

Hi Steve
Normally I find your comments right on target, but not today .

You seem to be indicating that people should NOT do what they feel is in their own best interest, that their wanting to spend their monies how they want is wrong?

I don't want others forcing me to spend my money on what I don't want, I bet if you rethink this that you feel that way too?

Keep up the interesting writing.

Mike

Post #769435
Posted Wednesday, August 12, 2009 10:16 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, September 11, 2014 7:42 PM
I don't know that Steve is saying wanting to spend your money how you want is wrong, I think I kind of see his point that being part of a bundle would allow a fledgling channel to develop interesting programming without having to get it from the start.

However, if it's only in existence because it's leeching from channels that people actually watch, and nobody is watching the little guy, then why should it still be on the air? It's easier on the cable company program director because he gets some cushion, but not the end user.

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #769490
Posted Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:15 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, September 11, 2014 4:25 PM
jcrawf02 (8/12/2009)
...I think I kind of see his point that being part of a bundle would allow a fledgling channel to develop interesting programming without having to get it from the start.

However, if it's only in existence because it's leeching from channels that people actually watch, and nobody is watching the little guy, then why should it still be on the air? It's easier on the cable company program director because he gets some cushion, but not the end user.

I'd say that's exactly the problem though. It's this idea that somehow, something that can't get it together at the start will be able to get it together later "if only we just give it a little more money". Pain (or the avoidance thereof) being the primary motivator of human beings dictates that if we know we can create something that is crap, and just leech off of something else that is successful creates zero motivation to improve it and make it marketable. Cutting off its funding now, versus later, only insists that the product (whatever it may be) be able to stand on its own to start with. This, of course, does not necessarily count towards initial development costs, in which some one or some thing must put up the initial capital to create the product. However, once the product is created, it either can be a success or it can not.

The market dictates that there is either demand for something at a certain pricepoint, or there isn't. Trying to muck with the pricepoint by throwing unearned money at something, say, by taking that money from another successful product or entity, isn't the way to "create choice" or "make the leeching product better", it simply is a way to pay off someone or ensure that the rewards of success are taken from those who earn them and given to those that do not.
Post #769519
Posted Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:21 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:03 PM
Steve, wonder if you noticed the connection between the networking blog item (which is right above) the slicing and dicing editorial in the email. I think both are speaking to similar needs though one's more personal than the other. Just as we as individuals have to expand and connect and build these links, companies must also do the same both internally and externally. But for the music industry, it's at a critical stage, where companies would be forced to change whereas other industries may have already gone over that phase and may not feel the same pressure.
Post #769522
Posted Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:24 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Monday, November 2, 2009 8:46 AM
Personally, I would prefer to pay only for the channels I watch. I see no reason why they can't allow us to pay just for our preferred entertainment.
Post #769523
Posted Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:47 AM

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 7:51 AM
Steve Jones - Editor (8/12/2009)
It IT, how many companies might forgo a backup system if they had to pay piece by piece for services? Who wants to fund the tape guy? No one does, and as many companies have done, they'll gamble on not having issues. However that cost needs to be sunk and absorbed.

Security? To a large extent if departments or groups could pick and choose, they'd ignore this, expecting someone else to handle it, or, just stick more servers under desks and not spend the funding. I've seen it time and time again.

Will that not take care of itself? The first time a company like that has a disk crash, and there are no backups, that will be the last time that happens: they'll learn and make sure there are adequate backups, or they're out of business.
Post #769537
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse