Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

SQL Joins Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, August 2, 2011 11:41 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQL Joins

My Blog
http://www.vivekjohari.blogspot.com
Post #769022
Posted Friday, August 14, 2009 2:13 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, August 14, 2009 2:12 AM
This is a very good article. To be complete it only needs to explain semi-joins, anti-semi-joins and cross apply.

If someone could explain how cross apply works, I'd be a very happy man
Post #770738
Posted Friday, August 14, 2009 2:15 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Sunday, July 3, 2011 7:09 AM
That's odd... this logged me in under a different account. Ah well.

Random Technical Stuff
Post #770740
Posted Friday, August 14, 2009 2:38 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, August 8, 2014 3:25 AM
I have one question -

I posed a question on our technical tests for new DBA/Developers and I asked

"Name All Types of join you are aware of"

The question was deliberatly loosely worded as I was looking to see how deep the person's understanding of joins was

I was looking for

Logical = Inner, Left/Right/Full outer , Cross Apply
Physical = Hash, Merge, Loop

this would demonstrate they understood not only the function of the join, but how the SQL engine behaves and physically performs these joins.

Now when we recruit in india I always get SELF JOIN added to the answers (but never in the UK for some reason)- I immediatly scratch this answer off as incorrect - but should i???

In the example SELF join actually used the INNER JOIN syntax - it does not matter which tables you join together it is still an INNER JOIN...

how about if the "self join" used a left OUTER??? is it still a self join? nope - it's a left outer (In my opinion)

Any thoughts??? In My opinion "SELF JOIN" is a nickname , but it does not functionally describe the join itself (ie you don't know if it's left , right, inner or outer"

Mike Vessey

MVDBA
Post #770752
Posted Friday, August 14, 2009 3:48 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 7:13 AM
cs (8/14/2009)
If someone could explain how cross apply works, I'd be a very happy man

I'll give it a try.

CREATE TABLE #SomeTable (Col1 int)
Insert into #SomeTable Values (1)
Insert into #SomeTable Values (2)
Insert into #SomeTable Values (3)
Insert into #SomeTable Values (4)
GO

CREATE Function dbo.SomeFunction (@Input int)
RETURNS TABLE AS
RETURN (SELECT @Input-1 AS Result union all SELECT @Input AS Result)
GO

SELECT Col1, func.result
FROM #SomeTable st CROSS APPLY dbo.someFunction(st.Col1) AS func

For each row in SomeTable the CROSS APPLY will run the table-valued function dbo.SomeTable and pass it the value of Col1 from that row of SomeTable. Based on the table and function created above, the results would be

Make sense so far?

Cross apply is like inner join, if the function doesn't return a row for a particular parameter, that parameter won't appear in the resultset. If you want outer join behaviour, use OUTER APPLY

Cross apply with a subquery is pretty much the same as with a function, it's the subquery that's run once for each row. The equivalent of that function above with a subquery would be this:

SELECT Col1, func.result
FROM #SomeTable st CROSS APPLY
(SELECT st.Col1 UNION ALL SELECT st.Col1-1 ) AS func

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #770767
Posted Friday, August 14, 2009 3:51 AM
SSC Veteran

michael vessey (8/14/2009)
I have one question -

I posed a question on our technical tests for new DBA/Developers and I asked

"Name All Types of join you are aware of"

The question was deliberatly loosely worded as I was looking to see how deep the person's understanding of joins was

I was looking for

Logical = Inner, Left/Right/Full outer , Cross Apply
Physical = Hash, Merge, Loop

this would demonstrate they understood not only the function of the join, but how the SQL engine behaves and physically performs these joins.

Now when we recruit in india I always get SELF JOIN added to the answers (but never in the UK for some reason)- I immediatly scratch this answer off as incorrect - but should i???

In the example SELF join actually used the INNER JOIN syntax - it does not matter which tables you join together it is still an INNER JOIN...

how about if the "self join" used a left OUTER??? is it still a self join? nope - it's a left outer (In my opinion)

Any thoughts??? In My opinion "SELF JOIN" is a nickname , but it does not functionally describe the join itself (ie you don't know if it's left , right, inner or outer"

Mike Vessey

Why would you ever want to do a left outer self join? A left outer self join means that you want to find every match and you want to find all rows that don't match. Sounds like a cross join to me.

Others might see the flaw in my reasoning... is there something I'm missing?

One point I would like to make though, is that it's definitely a special type of join where the left and right tables are the same table. Therefore there is no point calling it a left or right outer join. It is what it says it is - it's a self join. To be precise, a self inner join I guess, but nobody calls it that :)

Random Technical Stuff
Post #770770
Posted Friday, August 14, 2009 3:57 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 7:13 AM
ta.bu.shi.da.yu (8/14/2009)
Why would you ever want to do a left outer self join?

CREATE TABLE #SomeTable (Col1 int)
Insert into #SomeTable Values (1)
Insert into #SomeTable Values (2)
Insert into #SomeTable Values (3)
Insert into #SomeTable Values (4)
GO

SELECT t1.Col1, t2.Col1 FROM
#SomeTable t1 LEFT OUTER JOIN #SomeTable t2 ON t1.Col1 = t2.Col1-1

A left outer self join means that you want to find every match and you want to find all rows that don't match. Sounds like a cross join to me.

It's not a cross join. Cross join returns all possible combinations. Left outer join means return all rows in the left table, where the join condition matches rows from the right table return them, where they do not make those columns null.

With the table above, a cross join to itself would return 16 rows. The left outer join to itself will return 4.

One point I would like to make though, is that it's definitely a special type of join where the left and right tables are the same table. Therefore there is no point calling it a left or right outer join. It is what it says it is - it's a self join. To be precise, a self inner join I guess, but nobody calls it that :)

There's nothing at all special about a 'self' join. It's a standard inner or outer join that just happens to have the same table on both sides. Nothing more.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #770773
Posted Friday, August 14, 2009 3:57 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, August 8, 2014 3:25 AM
left outer self join - easy

show me all employees and their managers

include all employees that do not have a manager

select e1.*,e2.name from employee e1 left outer join employee e2 on e1.managerid=e2.employeeid

MVDBA
Post #770774
Posted Friday, August 14, 2009 4:02 AM
SSC Veteran

I stand corrected

Random Technical Stuff
Post #770777
Posted Friday, August 14, 2009 4:04 AM
SSC Veteran

GilaMonster (8/14/2009)
ta.bu.shi.da.yu (8/14/2009)

[quote]One point I would like to make though, is that it's definitely a special type of join where the left and right tables are the same table. Therefore there is no point calling it a left or right outer join. It is what it says it is - it's a self join. To be precise, a self inner join I guess, but nobody calls it that :)

There's nothing at all special about a 'self' join. It's a standard inner or outer join that just happens to have the same table on both sides. Nothing more.

Ah, OK. But I think that calling it a left outer join is a bit of a misnomer. Could be a right outer join to, right?

Random Technical Stuff
Post #770780
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse