Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Cursor use in Oracle Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 8:08 AM
PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (5/19/2011)
Jeff Moden (3/12/2011)
I absolutely agree but, just like I said a year and a half ago, too many people simply give up too easily on finding a high performance set based solution.

Aleluya! I waited a year and a half for your reply and I was certain it will come sooner or later By the way, I do agree.

You waited for the wrong thing then because I said exactly the same thing that year and a half ago.

Jeff Moden (10/10/2009)
PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (9/22/2009)
pandeharsh (9/12/2009)
Also,I read here that,we should avoid cursor as much as possible.

This is not correct. Is like saying you should avoid surgery as much as possible - why if surgery is your most effective alternative?

Actually, that is not entirely correct... Heh... I find that too many people go for "elective surgery" instead of finding the better way.

You should indeed avoid cursors "as much as possible". I'll agree that it's sometimes not possible but most folks simply give up too early.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1112785
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse