Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Saving Time with Proactive DBA Monitoring Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, November 6, 2013 3:15 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Saving Time with Proactive DBA Monitoring
Post #756328
Posted Tuesday, July 21, 2009 1:47 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 12:22 PM
Hi, Excellent article
I am working in a big environment where we have a Monitoring DB on each instance but i am still confused how do we set that up.
Can you help me in that
Regards
Post #756363
Posted Tuesday, July 21, 2009 3:24 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

nitin1353 (7/21/2009)
Hi, Excellent article
I am working in a big environment where we have a Monitoring DB on each instance but i am still confused how do we set that up.
Can you help me in that
Regards

Hi Grasshopper, thanks for your post. As I mentioned in the article - monitoring can be done either via a central server or from each server individually. Both are valid approaches. Can you be specific about which area you are seeking help about?
Post #756412
Posted Tuesday, July 21, 2009 3:27 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

I was talking about the latter one,with Each Monitoring DB on each instance.
Can you help me in setting this up
Regards
Post #756418
Posted Tuesday, July 21, 2009 5:03 AM
SSC Journeyman

nitin1353 (7/21/2009)
I was talking about the latter one,with Each Monitoring DB on each instance.
Can you help me in setting this up
Regards

Hi Grasshopper, the techniques I mentiopned in the article can be implemented as stored procedures in a database. The database can be rolled out in each individual instance and configured to send e-mails to a designated DBA.

How you implement the functionality (specifics of the actual monitoring procedures) is subject of further articles, code snippets etc.
Post #756463
Posted Tuesday, July 21, 2009 5:10 AM
Grasshopper

Thanks, please let me know if you can help me in creating the same environment
Regards
Post #756470
Posted Tuesday, July 21, 2009 8:22 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Thursday, July 10, 2014 9:36 AM
There are plenty of scripts on this web site that can be used to implement database monitoring on your servers. The author gets you started with an outline of what to monitor, you actually need to implement the jobs yourself. Too many people are looking for the "easy" button and want things done for them, you will learn more by doing it yourself.
Post #756621
Posted Tuesday, July 21, 2009 8:34 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Monday, May 26, 2014 3:31 PM
Hi Sadequl Hussain

Can you share some of the scripts for stored procedures so that I aslo start work on that

AQ KHAN
Post #756642
Posted Tuesday, July 21, 2009 3:36 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, April 25, 2014 4:15 PM
At the last three jobs I have had as a DBA I have set up “Dashboards”. The first was an ASP page that connected to each data server and executed code to monitor failed jobs, files and disk sizes and reported on other database statistics. The last two places I have used reporting services. In my current position I have set up a reporting services dashboard that has a color coded list of each production data server’s health. We have approximately 40 production databases spread over 10 servers.

Each server name links to another report the directly runs dynamic queries of the master and msdb tables to report on failed jobs, lists of disk drives and space used, server up time, version info and each database. The databases listed shows logical names, segments, size, space used, and growth type. I also run a monthly job that runs a defrag analysis and chkdsk with output to a text file that I import into a table.

When a job has failed it sends an e-mail to the IT department. The dashboard will list the failed job and links to a “run sheet” that lists: job name, level, contact, re-run instructions, location of scripts, output files, and links to log files. Anyone in the IT department can go to the reporting services report and see the health of the entire production database system and quickly identify anything that might need immediate escalation.

Post #757007
Posted Tuesday, July 21, 2009 5:21 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 3:29 PM
Nice article Sadequl - love your work!

--Chris Hamam

Life's a beach, then you DIE (Do It Eternally)
Post #757059
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse