Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Intersect, Except, Union, All and Any Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, August 18, 2014 1:30 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Intersect, Except, Union, All and Any

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #755353
Posted Saturday, July 18, 2009 5:11 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 8:33 AM
I had similar feelings when PIVOT came out. Proves that "new" or "different" is frequently not better, faster, or easier to read.

Good article David. Thanks for taking the time to write it and to do the comparisons.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #755361
Posted Sunday, July 19, 2009 9:29 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 11:04 AM
Very good article David.

One area where I find INTERSECT / EXCEPT easier to work with is when dealing with multiple columns, such as what you might find for a PK. It would really be interesting to see a comparison between the different methods using multiple columns instead of just a single column.

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #755394
Posted Sunday, July 19, 2009 3:51 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 8:33 AM
Why would anyone think that INTERSECT is easier than INNER JOIN?

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #755423
Posted Monday, July 20, 2009 12:45 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, May 16, 2014 3:30 AM
Hey David,

Nice article, I think you'll find the advantage with EXCEPT when you have to compare multiple columns with possible null values on both sides. When you compare null values with a JOIN or a WHERE statement you will get a "wrong" result, when using the EXCEPT statement you will get the "right" result.

see also:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_(SQL)#Grouping_and_sorting

Kim
Post #755534
Posted Monday, July 20, 2009 2:39 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, June 2, 2014 3:30 PM
When I look at the article none of the images show up? I see no other comments in the forum - is it just me? For ex...
image001 gives me nothing
Post #755591
Posted Monday, July 20, 2009 2:59 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 10:29 AM
I get no images!!!
Post #755604
Posted Monday, July 20, 2009 3:26 AM
Grasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 8:23 AM
No Images either. How Useful!!!
Post #755620
Posted Monday, July 20, 2009 4:17 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 4:39 AM
Nice article!

I've used EXCEPT a few times recently - simply cos I could, I guess, and also sometimes (even if it's relatively unknown syntax) it is clearer when reading the code what is going on.

One limiting aspect of EXCEPT (and also INTERSECT - although I haven't used it) is that the columns have to match (like they do for a UNION) whereas with NOT IN / NOT EXISTS etc. there is no such restriction.
Post #755635
Posted Monday, July 20, 2009 6:14 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:12 PM
Same here, no images, just the red x in a box.
Post #755682
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse