Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Failing SQL 2005 Cluster Installation because of too many cpu's Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, August 9, 2009 7:51 AM
It is definitely an issue with CPU count not being powers of 2, it was only picked up when the 6-core CPUs started to arrive on the scene and was fixed in higher service packs of SQL 2005 and 2008.
I went to a SQLBits conference here in the UK around Easter and a few of the DBAs presenting mentioned this issue, both with Cluster and Standalone installations.
Setting the CPU count to a factor of 2 will get round the installation issue. Microsoft seem to be a bit reluctant to issue media with the service packs included.
Post #753594
Posted Wednesday, July 15, 2009 9:33 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 2:25 AM
I also asked our MS Technical Account Mangager at the time for a consolidated release but with no joy.

Officially (I cannot speak of any done internal builds and special customer arrangements) there is no slipstreaming before SQL Server 2008 SP1.

This is due to the architecture that was used before SQL Server 2008 (SP1).
Post #753600
Posted Tuesday, August 4, 2009 7:57 AM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 12:04 PM
We encountered the same problem in April. I got lucky and found one discussion regarding the issue, which pointed me to the KB article.

http://relatedterms.com/ViewThread.aspx?t=1464269

We also tried reinstalling the OS prior to finding the fix. Now whenever we encounter any strange problem with our 24 proc servers we start wondering if it's related to the proc bug/feature.

Good article. Hope it saves people some time when they encounter the problem.

Dave

Post #764811
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse