Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Get DDL for any SQL 2005 table Expand / Collapse
Author
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 3:44 PM
There's a bug in this script at approximately line 82 - details below.

At line 56, you go to the trouble of figuring out the OBJECT_ID for the table using the schema name, etc:

SELECT
@TABLE_ID = [object_id]
FROM sys.objects
WHERE [type] IN ('S','U','V')
AND [name] <> 'dtproperties'
AND [name] = @TBLNAME
AND [schema_id] = schema_id(@SCHEMANAME) ;

And then a bit farther down, you cancel out all that good work, and re-set the TABLE_ID. If your table is in a schema other than the dbo schema, the @TABLE_ID gets set to NULL, and the stored procedure returns no results.

-- Valid Table, Continue Processing
SELECT @FINALSQL = 'CREATE TABLE [' + @SCHEMANAME + '].[' + UPPER(@TBLNAME) + '] ( '
SELECT @TABLE_ID = OBJECT_ID(@TBLNAME)

David
Post #898176
Posted Wednesday, April 7, 2010 5:03 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 4:55 AM
wow excellent catch David! I rarely work under multiple schemas, and certainly missed this!

I've updated my code and previous links to have the correction you mentioned, and you can downloaded it here if needed:

here is the updated version: sp_GetDDL2005_V307

I've got a function that uses the same code, I'll need to fix that as well.
Thanks David!

Lowell

--There is no spoon, and there's no default ORDER BY in sql server either.
Actually, Common Sense is so rare, it should be considered a Superpower. --my son
Post #898354
Posted Wednesday, April 7, 2010 11:10 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

No problem, and thanks for the excellent script.

I am planning to use a modified version to help manage our internal database version control - roll up patch directories back into the main branch, and I needed something to pull out all the tables.

David
Post #898784
Posted Wednesday, April 7, 2010 11:42 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

yeah i've used this code for a "schema checker" which compares a database to various xml docs;
based on an internal table, if your db is marked "version 4" or "version4.1", etc , it uses the appropriate xml doc from a website to check for objects;anything missing in the target database gets the script that was generated from this proc; works well for me;

I even have a version generates the results to create the same table in an Oracle database...creates triggers for the identity(), changes datatypes to NUMBER,VARCHAR2, etc.

Lowell

Actually, Common Sense is so rare, it should be considered a Superpower. --my son
Post #898835
Posted Wednesday, April 7, 2010 12:02 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:00 PM
Thanks Lowell for a superb script.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #898856
Posted Wednesday, April 7, 2010 12:04 PM
Grasshopper

Another quick fix - the size computation is missing for columns of type "varbinary" - I added this to the long query that computes the column type, length, and nullability:

WHEN TYPE_NAME(sys.columns.[user_type_id]) = 'varbinary'
THEN
CASE WHEN sys.columns.[max_length] = -1
THEN '(max)'
+ SPACE(6 - LEN(CONVERT(VARCHAR,(sys.columns.[max_length]))))
+ SPACE(7)
+ SPACE(16 - LEN(TYPE_NAME(sys.columns.[user_type_id])))
+ CASE WHEN sys.columns.[is_nullable] = 0
THEN ' NOT NULL'
ELSE ' NULL'
END
ELSE '('
+ CONVERT(VARCHAR,(sys.columns.[max_length]))
+ ') '
+ SPACE(6 - LEN(CONVERT(VARCHAR,(sys.columns.[max_length]))))
+ SPACE(7)
+ SPACE(16 - LEN(TYPE_NAME(sys.columns.[user_type_id])))
+ CASE WHEN sys.columns.[is_nullable] = 0
THEN ' NOT NULL'
ELSE ' NULL'
END
END

There is also a bug in the nvarchar size handling - the "-1" isn't enough, as a NVARCHAR(MAX) has a length of 8000 - an inconsistency within SQL Server.... I haven't tackled that yet - just did a search and replace.

David
Post #898857
Posted Wednesday, August 18, 2010 7:31 AM
Grasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 1:41 PM
Thanks for this script, it has been a great help!

I extended the script with a few lines and now it returns also the DDL for views, procedures and functions.
--##############################################################################        
-- Check If TableName is Valid
--##############################################################################
IF ISNULL(@TABLE_ID,0) = 0
BEGIN
SELECT @SCHEMANAME = ISNULL(PARSENAME(@TBL,2),'dbo') ,
@TBLNAME = PARSENAME(@TBL,1)
SELECT
@TABLE_ID = [object_id]
FROM sys.objects
--WHERE [type] = 'U'
WHERE [type] in ('V','P','FN' )
AND [name] <> 'dtproperties'
AND [name] = @TBLNAME
AND [schema_id] = schema_id(@SCHEMANAME) ;
IF ISNULL(@TABLE_ID,0) = 0
BEGIN
SET @FINALSQL = 'Table object [' + @SCHEMANAME + '].[' + UPPER(@TBLNAME) + '] does not exist in Database [' + db_name() + ']'
SELECT @FINALSQL
END
ELSE
BEGIN
SET @FINALSQL = 'SELECT S.TEXT FROM SYSCOMMENTS S INNER JOIN SYS.OBJECTS O ON S.ID = O.OBJECT_ID WHERE O.NAME = ''' + @TBLNAME + ''''
EXEC (@FINALSQL)
--SELECT @FINALSQL
END
RETURN 0
END

Question: The CrLf is not working in the output, the characters do work if I run an print command of those chars (13, 10), but in the output there is no CrLF available. Should I convert to XML?

Post #971121
Posted Wednesday, August 18, 2010 7:46 AM

SSChampion

glad it's helping you out Vincent;

you know that's a neat idea and exactly why i love SSC; other peoples feedback make everything better.

Sometimes you cannot see the tree when you are standing in the forest: extending sp_getDDL to return any object definition just makes sense. I have an updated version of that that gets the definition of any regular or TEMP table (#tempname) as well;
also i have another version that splits the text results of the varchar(max) on vbCrLf, and returns a multi-row resultset; i fiddle with this thing all the time to make it better.

As for the CrLf issue, i suspect that the problem is this:

I think that maybe the text is syscomments is delimited with just CHAR(13), and not CHAR(13) + CHAR(10);

i think that i would do a double replace to fix it and see:
SET @FINALSQL = 'SELECT  S.TEXT FROM SYSCOMMENTS....
--becomes
SET @FINALSQL = SELECT REPLACE(REPLACE(S.TEXT,CHAR(13),CHAR(13) + CHAR(10)), CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + CHAR(10),CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) ) FROM SYSCOMMENTS S [more]

i'm going to play with your example, i might change it so it hits sys.sql_modules instead of syscomments, but that is an awesome idea, and thank you so much for the feedback!

Lowell

Post #971137
Posted Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:28 AM

SSChampion

dayum that made for a really nice enhancement, Vincent.

here's links to two updated versions of the script.

sp_GetDDL V 309 returns the definition as a single varchar(max) of any of the main objects: Table, TempTable, View, Procedure, Function or Trigger.

sp_GetDDLa V 309a returns the definition as one or more rows of data, the varchar(max) split on vbCrLf of any of the main objects: Table,TempTable, View, Procedure, Function or Trigger.

here's a recap of some of the improvements made so far:

-- USAGE: exec sp_GetDDLa [TableName] | [#TempTableName] |[ProcedureName] | [ViewName] [FunctionName] |[TriggerName]
-- or exec sp_GetDDLa YourObjectName
-- or exec sp_GetDDLa 'bob.example'
-- or exec sp_GetDDLa '[schemaname].[ObjectName]'

-- V300 uses String concatination and sys.tables instead of a cursor
-- V301 enhanced 07/31/2009 to include extended properties definitions
-- V302 fixes an issue where the schema is created , ie 'bob', but no user named 'bob' owns the schema, so the table is not found
-- V303 fixes an issue where all rules are appearing, instead of jsut the rule related to a column
-- V304 testing whether vbCrLf is better than just CHAR(13), some formatting cleanup with GO statements
-- also fixed an issue with the conversion from syscolumns to sys.columns, max-length is only field we need, not [precision]
-- V305 user feedback helped me find that the type_name function should call user_type_id instead of system_type_id
-- also fixed issue where identity definition missing from numeric/decimal definition
-- V306 fixes the computed columns definition that got broken/removed somehow in V300
-- also formatting when decimal is not an identity
-- V307 fixes bug identified by David Griffiths-491597 from SSC where the @TABLE_ID
-- is reselected, but without it's schema , potentially selecting the wrong table
-- also fixed is the missing size definition for varbinary, also found by David Griffith
-- V308 abtracted all SQLs to use Table Alaises
-- added logic to script a temp table.
-- added warning about possibly not being marked as system object.
-- V309 added logic based on feedback from Vincent Wylenzek @SSC to return the definition from sys.sql_modules for
-- any object like procedure/view/function/trigger, and not just a table.
-- note previously, if you pointed sp_GetDDL at a view, it returned the view as a table...
-- now it will return the view definition instead.
-- V309 returns single varchar(max)
-- V309a returns multi row recordset, one line per record of the varchar(max) split on vbCrLf

Lowell

Post #971223
Posted Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:34 AM
Grasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 1:41 PM
Thanks for the credits, but my input was only a few lines of code:)

Your defenitely fast, thanks for providing the updates; I am working on an auditsystem
where you can combine the sp_getdll with audit events.
So every DDL event will be logged and the previous valid DDL-statement will be recorded by your statement.

If it is finished I will post it here.

Post #971227
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse