Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Basically Available, Soft State, Eventually Consistent Expand / Collapse
Author

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:58 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Basically Available, Soft State, Eventually Consistent

Best wishes,

Phil Factor
Simple Talk
Post #751628
Posted Saturday, July 11, 2009 1:40 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:12 PM
Thanks Phil, I thought the comparison to the Patriots was overblown. The Patriots wanted to freedom from a tyrannical system that was improper under any condition. The NoSQL crowd just seem to be in a situation that doesn't require all that RDBMSs offer.
Post #751641
Posted Saturday, July 11, 2009 2:11 PM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:58 AM
Noel,

Yes, I had to calm down a bit before writing the editorial. The comparison was, I thought, impertinent. The trouble is it does a great disservice to the NoSQL group, who seem to be a genuine special interest group with some interesting ideas for open-source BASE systems. It doesn't pose any threat to SQL RDBMSs at all as far as I can see from their presentations. A few wild men have rallied to their flag, but I suspect they'll soon drift off to the next 'big thing' in OODBMSs. Then, I reckon we could get some interesting ideas being generated from the group.

Best wishes,

Phil Factor
Simple Talk
Post #751644
Posted Saturday, July 11, 2009 9:41 PM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:47 AM
Great post Phil.

It inspired a blog post (http://sqlblog.com/blogs/andy_leonard/archive/2009/07/11/art-vs-science.aspx).

:{> Andy

Andy Leonard
CSO, Linchpin People
Follow me on Twitter: @AndyLeonard
Post #751663
Posted Monday, July 13, 2009 1:46 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, September 9, 2014 7:52 AM
Relational databases were meant for structured data and not unstructured data as used by the BASE systems. Using a wrong tool to do the job is not the tools limitation
Post #751832
Posted Monday, July 13, 2009 2:37 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Today @ 6:37 AM
Back in the days before PCs, when I worked as a Systems Analyst on IBM Mainframes you had the choice of storing your data either in a hierarchical database (IMS/DL1) or on the new-fangled relational DMBS (DB2/SQL).

If your data model was heirarchical, you didn't attempt to implement it on DB2, conversely if the data model was relational, you didn't use IMS...

30 years later we seem to have lost sight of the fact that not *all* data models are relational.
Post #751856
Posted Monday, July 13, 2009 7:51 AM

Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Sunday, May 19, 2013 8:22 AM
A logical data model is a logical one. It can be implemented in a relational, network, hierarchical or object-oriented database. Go to bottom of page here for one assessment of advantages of each: http://www.cs.pitt.edu/~chang/156/20dbdesign.html
Post #752047
Posted Monday, July 13, 2009 7:55 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Tuesday, September 2, 2014 8:37 AM
It's a matter of appropriate tool for the job... sometimes you need a hammer, sometimes a nail gun.

I remember one user who had a small (3000 name) ad hoc, lightly used mailing list in Excel. Well meaning people had told her to 'upgrade' to SQL Server, and I advised her just the opposite. Excel did the job, she could understand the model... no need to over complicate.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
Post #752051
Posted Monday, July 13, 2009 12:39 PM

Grasshopper

Last Login: Sunday, May 19, 2013 8:22 AM
The issue boils down to: how stand-alone is the application? If it's totally stand-alone, then the data implementation can be solely for the convenience of the app designer (or user if it's in Excel). But those apps are few and far between: most companies want to see reports, gauge effectiveness, share a customer master and a product master and to measure ROI. Stand-alone apps are rarely designed for that "enterprise vantage."

If the data is a shared resource, then it's an enterprise resource and needs to be managed and designed as such.

It's like the difference between a go-kart and a Hummer. The go-kart is lots easier to build, and may have some specialized military usage. But the Hummer is the better choice for most battles.
Post #752284
Posted Monday, July 13, 2009 12:45 PM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Monday, June 24, 2013 11:26 AM
Is somebody keeping track of the individuals, projects and companies who're buying into this? I'm going to be on vacation this week and there's not much good on during summer daytime TV. Should be fun to watch... I'll go make some popcorn.
Post #752290
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse