Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

/3GB Switch Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, June 3, 2011 4:58 PM
There is one requirement that I have to edit boot.ini file and make /3GB switch on in Vista. I am not able to do that. I am a sql server DBA and I used to do this when I used to use win2000 and XP.

-MJ

-MJ
Please do not print mails and docx unless it is absolutely necessary. Spread environmental awareness.
Post #744511
Posted Tuesday, June 30, 2009 9:13 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 9:22 AM
MichaelJasson (6/30/2009)
There is one requirement that I have to edit boot.ini file and make /3GB switch on in Vista.

Why do you want to do that?

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #744513
Posted Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:35 PM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Friday, December 12, 2014 12:03 PM
I wouldn't think you would want to do that on Vista. If you are running on x86 hardware, then the maximum memory you are going to be able to address is 3GB. Setting that switch won't leave any memory to the OS.

If you are running x64 - that switch won't do anything anyways.

So, I'm with Gail on this one - why do you want to do this?

Jeffrey Williams
Problems are opportunites brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
Managing Transaction Logs
Post #744822
Posted Thursday, July 2, 2009 2:14 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, June 13, 2014 12:27 PM
try BCDEdit.exe or Bootmgr.exe

Abhay Chaudhary
Sr.DBA (MCITP/MCTS :SQL Server 2005/2008 ,OCP 9i)
Post #746049
Posted Thursday, July 2, 2009 2:43 AM

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Thanks for your response SSCrazy and Gail.

The reason I want to do that is that my application is running very slow. I want to allocate more memory to sql server because page reads/sec and page writes/sec are really havoc.

/3GB would help me allocating one GB more to sql server and would help increasing the cache/Buffer by 1 GB.

I think Cache and Buffer are same thing. Correct me if I am wrong.

-MJ

-MJ
Please do not print mails and docx unless it is absolutely necessary. Spread environmental awareness.
Post #746064
Posted Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:28 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, June 13, 2014 12:27 PM
Cache is inside the buffer Pool ..its a subset .

Abhay Chaudhary
Sr.DBA (MCITP/MCTS :SQL Server 2005/2008 ,OCP 9i)
Post #746084
Posted Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:40 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

MichaelJasson (7/2/2009)
The reason I want to do that is that my application is running very slow. I want to allocate more memory to sql server because page reads/sec and page writes/sec are really havoc.

But we're talking a client OS. Doing this on a server that's dedicated to SQL is one thing, doing it on a client OS (especially one as memory-hungry as Vista) is something completely different.

Where is the SQL server that your app is using? One the Vista machine? If so, I recommend you move it to a proper server environment.

Gail Shaw
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

Post #746091
Posted Thursday, July 2, 2009 4:00 AM

SSC Journeyman

Thanks. Following link defines well about buffer pool and cache. Should I use the files you gave me to enable /3GB switch. Can you give me any link which tells me that I can use them as I am going to do this on a production server.

-MJ
Post #746105
Posted Thursday, July 2, 2009 4:55 AM

SSC-Forever

MichaelJasson (7/2/2009)
Can you give me any link which tells me that I can use them as I am going to do this on a production server.

A production server running Vista? You sure?

Before you add anything, can you maybe give some more info as to exact OS version, SQL server, amount of memory in the server and 32 bit or 64 bit?

Gail Shaw

Post #746139
Posted Thursday, July 2, 2009 5:35 AM

SSC Journeyman

Yes this is on Vista. My TL took a decision to have this on Vista and not Microsoft sql server 2008 which we proposed. I was not able to convince him with facts. Do you have any doc which informs me that this should not be on Vista.

My sql server version is as follows:
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP1) - 10.0.2714.0 (X64) May 14 2009 16:08:52 Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.0 (Build 6002: Service Pack 2) (VM)

I used DBCC MEMORYSTATUS and found many results. Out of which following gives enough information:

Available Physical Memory 342089728
Available Virtual Memory 844
Available Paging File 234
Working Set 133296128
Percent of Committed Memory in WS 100
Page Faults 5060377223231
System physical memory high 1
System physical memory low 0
Process physical memory low 0
Process virtual memory low 0

-MJ
Post #746156
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse