Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««56789

9 Things to Do When You Inherit a Database Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, June 5, 2014 10:54 AM
Big props for mentioning the most important th1ng, and putting it first: Backups.

-- RBarryYoung, (302)375-0451 blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung
Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
"Performance is our middle name."
Post #1320322
Posted Sunday, June 24, 2012 1:34 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:36 PM
On the topic of "obsolete" objects, dropping them if they haven't been accessed in 3 months or a year is a big mistake. I've seen objects that are only accessed on leap years and if dropped would cause serious implications. My advice on objects that you think are obsolete, leave them alone unless you are absolutely, 100% certain they will never be used again. Otherwise you could be setting yourself or someone else up for big problems.
Post #1320386
Posted Monday, June 25, 2012 9:50 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Thursday, August 21, 2014 4:21 AM
I'd get the separate dev and test app and database environments set up and working and run the everyday, period end, month end, year end and any other time procedures on that with profiler to find what is used and document it as well as running profiler on live to find out what gets connected to from outside the apps.
Post #1320711
Posted Tuesday, September 11, 2012 9:55 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Saturday, November 3, 2012 8:04 PM
Really good article. I guess list could be end less as the time pass by requirements or usage change. But at least when you just been handed a DB and if you know even the only options listed here should be ok for a start. Other good suggestions could follow as given by others...

Also this could be asked in DBA interviews as at times basics are not followed getting lost in advance features..

Thanks
Post #1357546
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««56789

Permissions Expand / Collapse