Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

On Error () Logging by Using Event Handlers Expand / Collapse
Author
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, July 20, 2014 5:25 PM
Yah it’s possible, I will try to find out some direct ways to do it. But for the time being, you can use one custom task to keep track of the currently executing container in a variable and can add that variable in the logging task.

Thank You
Post #743230
Posted Wednesday, July 1, 2009 8:51 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Monday, November 4, 2013 6:04 AM
I have implemented something very similar to this however; instead of creating the PackageLogID as a user variable I am just using the system variable "ExecutionInstanceGUID". I am curious though, did you choose to create a user variable for a particular reason? One reason I could see is so that you could deal with an int value insead of a GUID but did you have other reasoning?

Regards,
Jason

Regards,

Jason P. Burnett
Senior DBA
Post #745471
Posted Wednesday, July 1, 2009 9:00 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Obviously, there is a reason for using PackageLogID as a user defined variable for tracking the execution of the package. Below is the list:
• It’s datatype is Int, so easy for calculation and analysis.
• Its size is less (datatype size), obviously good then using GUID.
• Can be sorted easily and is meaningful for the user (for easy understanding and detecting than GUID)
Thanks for your comment.
Post #745485
Posted Wednesday, July 1, 2009 9:36 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Monday, November 4, 2013 6:04 AM
Thanks for the details. Greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Jason P. Burnett
Senior DBA
Post #745535
Posted Friday, July 3, 2009 11:51 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:42 PM
I have been using SSIS for a while, but haven't tapped into the power of even handling yet. This is a great and useful introduction!

Post #747073
Posted Tuesday, July 14, 2009 7:54 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 11:35 AM
Actually I am using Error handler to catch the error, collect all possible error description and send email with this information to operation support team
Post #752687
Posted Wednesday, August 26, 2009 2:12 PM
Grasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 1:09 PM
Hi,

I am new to SSIS and followed the steps in this article as it is to create the error handler. If I execute the error handler SQL task manually it works fine and inserts into the DB but when the SSIS job fails it doesn't invoke the Error Handler at all. I have checked the DisableEventHandler property and it is set to False.
I have also tried to use some help from the ticket
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlintegrationservices/thread/e7fbe7e8-331f-49d5-88d3-715174688879 but that didn't help either.
Can someone please guide me in the right direction. I am trying to resolve it for 2 days now.

Thanks!
Post #777844
Posted Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:03 PM
Grasshopper

Dear Developer,
It seems you are trying to run individual tasks in control flow instead of whole package. In that case, ssis will not execute the Event handler section. Try running the whole package.
I have gone through your ticket http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlintegrationservices/thread/e7fbe7e8-331f-49d5-88d3-715174688879
After having a look on it, I can suggest you to mail me your package sample to me. I want to check it by myself about the error.
My mail id: mail.arun2005@gmail.com
Thanks
Arun
Post #778000
Posted Monday, September 3, 2012 1:25 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Monday, August 11, 2014 2:59 AM
Hi Arun,
Though its been few years i guess you might see this post.

I tried using your solution for catching the error log in SQL 2008 R2. But the thing is, the package after its run displaying the Execute SQL task's color to be in RED. also with the following error message,
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Execute SQL Task] Error: Executing the query "INSERT INTO [<<Database Name>>].[dbo].[ErrorLog]
([Packa..."

failed with the following error: "Incorrect syntax near 'PK__csod_dat__72399DD10CBAE877'.". Possible

failure reasons: Problems with the query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set

correctly, or connection not established correctly.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
can you please help me here ?
Post #1353367
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse