Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Use Backup/Restore to Minimize Upgrade Downtimes Expand / Collapse
Author
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 10:56 AM
noeld (6/18/2009)
Ermm... Isn't this just a description of LogShipping ?

Yep. it is.

SQL DBA.
Post #737585
Posted Thursday, June 18, 2009 3:26 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 12:27 AM
Good job Jonathan :)

My blog: http://jahaines.blogspot.com
Post #737949
Posted Thursday, June 18, 2009 3:58 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 3:13 PM
I'd probably add a step at the end.

After the applications are up and you're sure they're all pointed at the new server and working fine, bring the old database back on-line (or restart the old SQL Server), and perform a final full backup. This is useful for ensuring you have a copy of the database as it existed in its old environment at the time of cutover. As you noted, sometimes the new database may not be restorable on the old server (different SQL versions). And depending on auditing requirements, you may need a restorable backup for off-site storage. It also gives you a picture of the data as it existed at the point of cutover.

Have Fun!

Ronzo

Post #737969
Posted Thursday, June 18, 2009 4:00 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, August 4, 2010 1:08 PM
Very good information. Thank you for sharing.
Post #737971
Posted Thursday, June 18, 2009 4:55 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Monday, October 13, 2014 4:42 PM
If you are upgrading SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 or an earlier version of SQL 2005 to a newer version (such as SP1 to SP3), then you can do this with database mirroring. Then you don't need to do the tail backup or any of the manual steps when it comes time to switchover. You just need to perform a failover.

Best part is, you can update the client conenction strings ahead of time to have the new server as the principal and the old server as the mirror and the client will automatically switch to the new machine.

And if you want, you could then upgrade the old server and keep using it as a mirror for the new server.

My blog: SQL Soldier
Twitter: @SQLSoldier
My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
Principal DBA: Outerwall, Inc.
Also available for consulting: SQL DBA Master
Post #737983
Posted Thursday, June 18, 2009 7:07 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 11:48 PM
Good article, very informative. You might want to spell check your article the next time you submit one. Justifiably or not, it can hurt your credibility if you submit an article with multiple spelling errors and typos to a professional forum. Just takes a second to run it through a spell checker.
Post #738008
Posted Thursday, June 18, 2009 9:04 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 11:23 AM
daeguboog (6/18/2009)
Good article, very informative. You might want to spell check your article the next time you submit one. Justifiably or not, it can hurt your credibility if you submit an article with multiple spelling errors and typos to a professional forum. Just takes a second to run it through a spell checker.

Perhaps you could point out the typo that you believe exists. This was written in Microsoft Word, and it passes a spell check, and manually reviewing it, there are no typos that I can find.

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs
Post #738027
Posted Thursday, June 18, 2009 9:17 PM

SSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 11:23 AM
noeld (6/18/2009)
Ermm... Isn't this just a description of LogShipping ?

Yep, its basically manual log shipping. I've never used log shipping to accomplish this task because databases in my environment that I would be moving like this are already in FULL recovery. I generally off my existing backup set to perform all but the tail log restores. However, I have found in explaining this on the forums that people asking how to minimize down times, aren't in FULL recovery, and it is easier to explain how to manually do this, than to get them to setup log shipping to accomplish the same thing.

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs
Post #738029
Posted Thursday, June 18, 2009 11:24 PM

SSCommitted

Last Login: Monday, October 13, 2014 4:42 PM
Jonathan Kehayias (6/18/2009)
Perhaps you could point out the typo that you believe exists. This was written in Microsoft Word, and it passes a spell check, and manually reviewing it, there are no typos that I can find.

I didn't notice any when I read it the first time, but I read it again after seeing the above posts, and there are several typos, but on the positive side, all of the typos are spelled correctly.

top instead of to, to instead of too, its instead of it's. Nothing major, and I wouldn't have noticed if it hadn't been pointed out.

I would like to say that the part below is not correct. A tail log backup is not a normal backup. to perform a tail log backup, you have to use the NoRecovery option on the backup log command. And when you do a tail log backup, it leaves the database in a restoring state so the database is not online any more. You don't have to take it offline.

Perform a final Transaction Log backup on the old server (this is called the tail log backup), and then take the database offline if it is a shared server

My blog: SQL Soldier
Twitter: @SQLSoldier
My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
Principal DBA: Outerwall, Inc.
Also available for consulting: SQL DBA Master
Post #738057
Posted Saturday, June 20, 2009 3:10 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Thursday, October 16, 2014 4:22 PM
Great approach. Thank you for the article!

Post #738911
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse