Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Planning Ahead - Single Node Clusters Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, July 25, 2010 9:38 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Planning Ahead - Single Node Clusters

--
Andrew Hatfield
Post #736180
Posted Wednesday, June 17, 2009 1:33 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, August 1, 2013 2:31 AM
What a great idea. It just so happens that I have arrived at work this morning to find our main file server is not available because our IT guys decided to swap the hardware last night and it didn't go quite according to plan!

I think I'll forward them a copy of your article in the hope they take the hint. The irony is that we have invested in blade servers and shared storage (SAN). We have virtualised everything but not created the servers as single node clusters. After reading your article it seems we might have missed a trick.
Post #736264
Posted Wednesday, June 17, 2009 2:04 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 1:43 AM
Great to see this and to know that some one els is also thinking like we do.
We already using single node clusters in our SQL environment now for more than 3 years.
Especially to make the sql installation server independed.
If the server needs to be replaced we add the new one to the cluster, do the switch over and than remove the old one if everything is running ok.
So it's not only good for scaling out but also for server replacement without a lot of down time and migration issues.

Post #736274
Posted Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:25 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Monday, August 25, 2014 10:11 PM
Thanks for that.

Don't know why I never thought of this before, coming from a VMS background, where clustering systems is an (almost) trivial task that we took for granted because, well, it was just what you did.

In particular, your thoughts about upgrading - this was exactly what we always did when upgrading systems, add the new hardware to the cluster, move the apps to the new system and move the old one to the 'development cluster'.

Moving in the small business circles that I have over the last 10 years, I'd all but forgotten about clustering, but you've given me a reason to start building up my skills in Windows clusters.

/Ryan
Post #736404
Posted Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:36 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, April 18, 2014 8:01 AM
Thanks for sharing this tip. I can confirm that this works having created a single node cluster 3 years ago on SQL 2005. However, I only had a single node cluster for 4 months. When the new budget year was approved, I was able to add a second node.

Post #736412
Posted Wednesday, June 17, 2009 6:31 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:40 PM
Good article, and very good idea about planning ahead. This methodology takes more work to set up, but can save you hours or even days of work in a replacement or hardware failure.

Tim Mitchell, SQL Server MVP
Independent Business Intelligence Consultant
www.TimMitchell.net
@Tim_Mitchell

Post #736464
Posted Wednesday, June 17, 2009 6:33 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 12:17 PM
Good idea. I have noticed clustered servers are more sensitive than non-cluster servers. They automatically restart services by failing over whenever something seems to be wrong. I think of it as an automated reboot of the server.

How does a single node handle a failover issue? Does it just restart itself or waits for someone to handle it?

David Bird

My PC Quick Reference Guide
Post #736467
Posted Wednesday, June 17, 2009 7:26 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, September 6, 2012 2:00 PM
Thanks for good insight of planning ahead. Appreciate your help to the community. Venkat.
Post #736529
Posted Wednesday, June 17, 2009 8:23 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:47 AM

Can anyone add additional insight on steps for moving a single SQL Server instance into a clustered environment. Thanks.

Regards,

Reggie
Post #736606
Posted Wednesday, June 17, 2009 8:28 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 1:43 AM
It try to restart the resource x times, but if it keeps failing it becomes failed.

Post #736610
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse