Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

SQL Server Instances Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 6:40 PM
One benefit of instances is that when you create a linked server connection to a database in another instance (of the same machine) then data does not have to travel through a network and the results are typically fast.
Post #753635
Posted Wednesday, July 15, 2009 10:07 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, November 10, 2014 2:21 AM
mmartin (7/15/2009)
One benefit of instances is that when you create a linked server connection to a database in another instance (of the same machine) then data does not have to travel through a network and the results are typically fast.

I dont think we need to create linked servers for instances running on same server. or do we? we can access the data using four part notation. [instance Name].database.owner.object

Pradeep Singh
Post #753639
Posted Thursday, July 16, 2009 4:08 PM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

I tried querying using your suggestion on a couple of instances on one of our machines. I was not successful. Maybe I am missing something.
Post #754534
Posted Thursday, July 16, 2009 4:16 PM

SSC-Addicted

My understanding of an instance is that it acts as if it is another server without actually needing to buy another server. Thus I assume all the permissions/checkpoints you normally have in place to access data from another box still apply to instances the reside on the same disk as your reference database.

regards, MMartin
Post #754538
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse