Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Who's At Fault Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 4:05 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Who's At Fault

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #732714
Posted Thursday, June 11, 2009 1:38 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, August 5, 2014 3:45 AM
In the meantime, the best defense, as always, is making sure you save often and make backups.

On another disk.

On another continent.
Post #732804
Posted Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:26 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Sunday, August 3, 2014 3:41 PM
Ten years ago I was team leader in a small software house. When things went wrong there was a bit of a 'blame' culture - and to stop developers squabbling over fault I used to admit responsiblity - especially when the MD (CEO) used to come down looking for a head to put on a pike.
It got to a stage where I'd come accross a group of developers gathered around a PC and say "Its all my fault - what's the problem" - It got a little out of hand, and code comments follows like "Fixed developerX's bad coding". All very well for compiled code - but a customer found some comments in stored procedures and raised a complaint to the MD. We then had a long and protracted exercise in cleaning up all code comments (in both compiled code and SQL) to make sure nothing referred to individuals or customers.

The offending comment. - slightly changed here

-- Fixed xxxx's stupid mistakes. Thats what you get when employing an obvious donkey to do a real developers job.

Post #732850
Posted Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:20 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, May 11, 2012 3:24 AM
Losing data? As a developer, I have always taken the approach of delete nothing. Delete is not an SQL command I use. Instead, use an additional column such as 'active'. Then, when the s/&t hits the fan, it's probably a selection issue or some such. Easy to analyse and fix.

And of course, not deleting anything also means I can respond to complaints of the "I didn't do it" sort by looking at the active column of the row and the last user who updated the row, and replying "oh yes you did"

Is it panto season yet?
Post #732888
Posted Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:20 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 7:19 AM
All I know is that is wasn't my fault...

Post #732977
Posted Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:32 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 6:01 AM
Weird thought Software companies, how about instead of being first to market, try being the best on the market.... I used to work at a telecom company that was more interested in being first to market with a product instead of being the best on the market. Now, year after year, they are usually in first place on bad customer satisfaction...
Post #732985
Posted Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:44 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Friday, October 2, 2009 6:43 AM
My second worst frustration in working with an ERP system written in .NET and running on SQL Server is encountering intermittent data loss or corruption.

When you trace through the code, everything looks clean, but somehow out of clean code, and clean input, data was lost or garbage was created.

My absolute worst frustration is that these occurences are considered "acceptable."

Our ERP vendor once supplied a patch and noted that installing it would "make data loss less likely." (actual quote)

So, my question to the group is: What, if any, is an acceptable error rate for data loss or corruption on SQL Server?

Post #732989
Posted Thursday, June 11, 2009 7:06 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:43 PM
I dislike the whole concept of fault. I prefer responsibility. It's the responsibility of those who can repair the problem. Fault and blame are usually just attempts to dodge responsibility.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #732999
Posted Thursday, June 11, 2009 7:26 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:09 AM
I sometimes think trying to find out "who" is to blame just adds fuel to the fire. The goal should be to find out "what" is to blame and then fix it. It's been my experience when you point fingers at a specific person, the result is an environment where people are more concerned about covering up mistakes instead of trying to write high quality software.
Post #733010
Posted Thursday, June 11, 2009 7:48 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 1:48 PM
We certainly live in a liability crazy society. There's probably a fortune to be made in writing iron-clad, lawyer-proof disclaimers. A new cottage industry, perhaps...

It seems people are more interested in finding fault than finding solutions. I mean, whose fault is it really if I spill a cup of hot coffee in my lap or I decide to use the blow dryer in the shower?

Responsibility (as mentioned earlier) and accountability are important elements of improving software development.

Along the lines of writing better software, my manager sent out this piece by Charles Fishman yesterday. He notes that errors are ultimately the result of the process.

http://www.fastcompany.com/node/28121/print?
Post #733023
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse