Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Comparing Table Variables with Temporary Tables Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:09 AM
Good job. Very informative and usefule.
Post #732270
Posted Wednesday, June 10, 2009 7:38 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 4:48 AM
WayneS (6/10/2009)
Grant Fritchey (6/10/2009)
Well done. Extremely thorough, accurate, well written... but what's with the attached Word file?

I wrote the article in Word, and I had asked Steve to include it as an attachment to the article so that the viewers could download it for easier printing.... I guess he interpreted that to mean to just make the article this way. I'm sorry for any confusion about that, and it's my fault that my desires weren't communicated clearly.

I'm not complaining. I was just confused for a couple of moments. But then, I am easily confused.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #732277
Posted Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:31 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:39 AM
Excellent article. I'm sure this took some time to produce.

Thank you for debunking the "only in memory" myth for temp tables and table variables. I've never had time or resources to explore them. We have a small production server (Windows 2003 SBS) and I've always avoided using tables variables because memory is an expensive commodity in an SBS environment. I'll actually consider these now.

Thank you for taking time to write and share this.

Gabe
Post #732341
Posted Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:34 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Monday, March 10, 2014 7:03 AM
Damn good article. I knew that table variables didn't have stats computed for them, but I hadn't fully considered the implications of that.

One point which your article doesn't make explicitly is that table variables live outside transactions. I realize that you show this in the comparison table at the bottom, but I think an article as good as this one should give this point at least a mention in the Other Differences section, because this behavior is 1. potentially useful and 2. an (admittedly) rare source of difficult-to-find bugs.
Post #732345
Posted Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:40 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Thursday, April 03, 2014 10:37 AM
Excellent article!
Very clear and informative!
Post #732350
Posted Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:43 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:24 AM
I've put it back in the article text, so you can read it online with colored formatting.

My apologies to Wayne for not getting this done sooner. I thought I had saved it, but apparently I didn't.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #732353
Posted Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:16 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 12:20 PM
Dean Cochrane (6/10/2009)
Damn good article. I knew that table variables didn't have stats computed for them, but I hadn't fully considered the implications of that.

Thank you.

One point which your article doesn't make explicitly is that table variables live outside transactions. I realize that you show this in the comparison table at the bottom, but I think an article as good as this one should give this point at least a mention in the Other Differences section, because this behavior is 1. potentially useful and 2. an (admittedly) rare source of difficult-to-find bugs.

Excellent point. While the article doesn't explicitly state that table variables live outside of transactions, at the beginning of the article, under the "Table Variables" section, points 3) and 4) both talk about how table variables interact with transactions.

Edit: clarification on transactions within the article.

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #732380
Posted Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:28 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 10:34 AM
Great job Wayne! This article is definitely a good read.

My blog: http://jahaines.blogspot.com
Post #732391
Posted Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:35 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 12:20 PM
Steve Jones - Editor (6/10/2009)
I've put it back in the article text, so you can read it online with colored formatting.

My apologies to Wayne for not getting this done sooner. I thought I had saved it, but apparently I didn't.

Thanks Steve. I personally think that the online article looks better now.

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #732399
Posted Wednesday, June 10, 2009 1:24 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 6:59 AM
This is the perfect resource for Temp Table/Table Variable comparisons as far as i'm concerned. The graph is a particularly useful quick reference.
Well done, and many thanks.
Post #732581
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse