Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««23456»»

Mining for Quitters Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:06 PM
GSquared (6/11/2009)
Don't disagree with you about the need for human involvement in the process. I just think a system that can do things like track average national and local salaries and compare those to current salaries for employees would be a good thing. There are plenty of metrics like that that can be more easily tracked by a computer than by a person.

No computer will know that Gus' morale is out the bottom and digging a new coal mine, but it will know that he's never yet had a performance review, that his salary is below average for the area, that he has fewer projects than his work capacity, that he spends far too much time on sites like this one during working hours, and that there are job offerings in the area at equal or better pay.

Ok, now you're cooking with gas. You and I actually agree 100% but didn't know it. Thanks, Gus.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #733112
Posted Thursday, June 11, 2009 10:15 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:43 PM
Jeff Moden (6/11/2009)
GSquared (6/11/2009)
Don't disagree with you about the need for human involvement in the process. I just think a system that can do things like track average national and local salaries and compare those to current salaries for employees would be a good thing. There are plenty of metrics like that that can be more easily tracked by a computer than by a person.

No computer will know that Gus' morale is out the bottom and digging a new coal mine, but it will know that he's never yet had a performance review, that his salary is below average for the area, that he has fewer projects than his work capacity, that he spends far too much time on sites like this one during working hours, and that there are job offerings in the area at equal or better pay.

Ok, now you're cooking with gas. You and I actually agree 100% but didn't know it. Thanks, Gus.

So far as I can tell, that's pretty much been the end result of every one of our disagreements. It's just a matter of clarification.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #733186
Posted Friday, June 12, 2009 7:07 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:06 PM
GSquared (6/11/2009)
So far as I can tell, that's pretty much been the end result of every one of our disagreements. It's just a matter of clarification.

Heh... I concur... but lemme see what this computer says...

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #734210
Posted Monday, June 15, 2009 7:10 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:43 PM
Jeff Moden (6/12/2009)
GSquared (6/11/2009)

Heh... I concur... but lemme see what this computer says...

No. YOU aren't allowed to know what the computer says. After all, what's the point of a secret cabal of omniscient computers if just anyone is allowed to know what they say?

I, on the other hand, am allowed to know what the computer says.

It says "42".

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #734966
Posted Monday, December 30, 2013 2:27 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 5:09 AM
Really Steve, such a nice article about job, which helps better life. Peter Drucker, always says this, management should talk to all, never ever leave them, either good time or tough times.
Post #1526426
Posted Monday, December 30, 2013 6:50 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, June 8, 2014 8:35 PM
I concurr. Undercover boss comes to mind. Secondly, the company must understand the difference between an employee as an asset or liability.
Post #1526482
Posted Monday, December 30, 2013 7:25 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Friday, July 18, 2014 11:41 AM
Just another instance of Google being the worst combination of Creepy Uncle and Big Brother possible.
Should be expected considering who and what they are really about.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013/11/18/google-reaches-privacy-settlement-with-states/3628593/
Post #1526488
Posted Monday, December 30, 2013 1:32 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 1:39 PM
Not a good idea...IMO

"Most" people want to know they have a place in the company. If people are paid well for what they do and are excited to go to work, and have ample amount of vacation for great work life balance, they will be less likely to leave.

Once the raises start to drop and you start getting bad managers and leaders and your job starts to become less and less exciting, you start to wonder if you can find that excitement again. So, what better way than to find another job. You typically get a nice raise for leaving and there is the initial excitement and new contribution.

If the company treats everyone well and tries to keep everyone involved and maintains a reasonable and maybe sometimes better raises, and a great vacation policy, no one would want to leave.

This type of application is evidence that the company feels as if they have been screwing people over and they are starting to wonder how deep they went. (Wait...that doesn't sound like it should). The company feels like they are losing control because of their bad decisions and now they are looking for a computer to tell them how to make people happy. Not too smart if you ask me. Sounds to me like HR needs fired along with some big executives that are making bad decisions.
Post #1526600
Posted Tuesday, December 31, 2013 12:10 PM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:54 AM
Seems risky at a company full of tech nerds. If they see you doing data mining to figure out who is likely to leave, and scratching their itches, what is to stop otherwise happy employees from "life hacking" so that it will look like they are unhappy and look like more money/vacation/benefits/advancement would help retain them?

How sweet would that be? Figure out how to look right on the report, and you've implicitely threatened to leave and shaken them down for more, without having to make any such threats explicit.
Post #1526831
Posted Tuesday, December 31, 2013 12:18 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 1:39 PM
That's sounds like a great plan, Nevyn. Until they figure out you're not one of the, "can't live without" employees. :)
Post #1526832
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««23456»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse