Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Decoding Micro-speak Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, January 10, 2014 7:20 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Decoding Micro-speak

Brad M. McGehee
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Director of DBA Education, Red Gate Software
www.bradmcgehee.com
Post #723148
Posted Tuesday, May 26, 2009 10:35 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, June 12, 2009 12:56 PM
Agnostic as in software that is database agnostic, meaning it will function irrespective of the type of database used with, is a ridiculous buzzword that is also a serious misnomer.
Post #723764
Posted Tuesday, May 26, 2009 11:28 PM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 1:56 PM
Utopia - Also in a software perspective (We are progressing our software to a utopia)

I get chills every time I hear it.
Post #723791
Posted Tuesday, May 26, 2009 11:51 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, March 28, 2014 5:06 AM
Evolve - as in evolution - ape to man. We use it when we sell our software to say how our system can grow over time to suit the customers needs.

Manie Verster
Developer
Johannesburg
South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)
Post #723798
Posted Wednesday, May 27, 2009 2:41 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 6:11 AM
Rolled in - Already part of the software

Set in stone - Fixed in code - rolled in(think writing on a granite tablet). Usually refers to parameters or a design decision that is unlikely to change.

Bits - Executable (and associated assemblies) of a program/project. Could you send me the bits.

Some of these have been around since mainframe/COBOL days. Have to say the latter is much younger and makes me laugh as its slang for bodily parts in these waters. Always makes my eyes water when someone asks for us to send them the bits.

What ever happened to English, eh?!
Post #723872
Posted Wednesday, May 27, 2009 6:26 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 7:19 AM
To add a historical term that doesn't get used much anymore, how about 'killer app'. Back in the early days of computing, that meant an application that would cause people to purchase a computer for no other reason than to run the app. When spreadsheets were invented, it caused accountants to by Apple 2 computers. I bought my first Atari in 1985 for the word processor.

It's not quite dead yet (to spin off of Monty Python). My mother bought a computer and uses it for only two reasons: email and solitaire.

I raise this because it may be helpful for us to continually ask the question, "why do people use computers, really?" Most people have a very limited group of applications that make them own a computer. Identifying these functions can be very helpful in determining hardware requirements. Maybe we could come up with a name for these apps as a group? Maybe app-pack?

Post #724005
Posted Wednesday, May 27, 2009 6:34 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, May 06, 2011 7:11 AM
The always amusing Raymond Chen's blog entries about Microspeak:

http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/tags/Microspeak/default.aspx
Post #724010
Posted Wednesday, May 27, 2009 6:52 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:41 AM
Shouldn't "Long Pole" be "Poll" as in "starting it going and waiting for a response"...? Otherwise there is a risk of confusion with the long [barge] pole with which we don't touch those Beta releases...
Post #724031
Posted Wednesday, May 27, 2009 7:43 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 9:46 AM
Low Hanging Fruit is one that I hear often related to easy to execute tasks, easily solveable problems, etc. As in, "these items that the client is requesting are low hanging fruit. Get them added and then we will look at the items that require heavy lifting." These terms are not necessarily software or IT specific but that is where I have heard them the most.
Post #724091
Posted Wednesday, May 27, 2009 7:59 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:31 AM
Utopia - Also in a software perspective (We are progressing our software to a utopia)

What makes that buzzword extremely funny is that Utopia means "no where" . Origin is from Greek where "U" means "no" and "topia" means "place" and was the title of Sir Thomas More's 1516 book about a island of perfection.

So the phrase can be translated to "We are progressing our software to no where"

SQL = Scarcely Qualifies as a Language
Post #724116
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse