Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

The Real SQL Server Experts Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 12:05 PM
ta.bu.shi.da.yu (5/24/2009)
Absolutely! I'm just saying that I think that open source projects are more influencable or are quicker to implement changes than closed source companies. My $0.02.

You and I both agree on that. The thing we may not agree upon is that I don't believe the ability to make very quick changes is always an advantage. Having the ability to quickly change something is great especially when it comes to quickly repairing a mistake. I'll also suggest that having the ability to chickly change something will likely make you more prone to mistakes unless you have a stong regimen to prevent mistakes. That creates a bit of a paradox in my mind. That paradox is embodied by the old saw of "Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time but there's always time to do it over?"

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #722739
Posted Sunday, May 24, 2009 11:09 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 12:14 PM
saw of "Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time but there's always time to do it over?"

and over, and over, and over - until we no longer remember what it was supposed to do in the first place.

Jeffrey Williams
Problems are opportunites brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
Managing Transaction Logs
Post #722742
Posted Monday, May 25, 2009 2:02 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, April 12, 2013 2:03 PM
I am just a programmer. Been in the business for over 10 years now, I have changed the way I code so many times, but when it comes to SQL code, its still the same, horribly the same :)

I Might create/use stuff to make things simpler, wrappers, helpers, flashy SQL text editors etc... But, it still is the same old SQL I learned in University

I say time for change, even if it is gradual
Post #722874
Posted Monday, May 25, 2009 6:45 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Sunday, July 3, 2011 7:09 AM
Jeff Moden (5/24/2009)
ta.bu.shi.da.yu (5/24/2009)
Absolutely! I'm just saying that I think that open source projects are more influencable or are quicker to implement changes than closed source companies. My $0.02.

You and I both agree on that. The thing we may not agree upon is that I don't believe the ability to make very quick changes is always an advantage. Having the ability to quickly change something is great especially when it comes to quickly repairing a mistake. I'll also suggest that having the ability to chickly change something will likely make you more prone to mistakes unless you have a stong regimen to prevent mistakes. That creates a bit of a paradox in my mind. That paradox is embodied by the old saw of "Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time but there's always time to do it over?"

Actually, I do agree with you. I work for a commercial, closed source software house that was recently purchased by EMC. I see a great deal of pluses and minuses to both approaches to development, and I certainly never believe that quick and ill-thought out changes are a good thing! Believe me, I've seen what happens when changes aren't thought through and implemented quickly. It ain't pretty...

Random Technical Stuff
Post #722949
Posted Monday, May 25, 2009 6:46 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Sunday, July 3, 2011 7:09 AM
Damus (5/25/2009)
I am just a programmer. Been in the business for over 10 years now, I have changed the way I code so many times, but when it comes to SQL code, its still the same, horribly the same :)

I Might create/use stuff to make things simpler, wrappers, helpers, flashy SQL text editors etc... But, it still is the same old SQL I learned in University

Why? Just because it's the same old thing doesn't mean it's not worthwhile. I'm curious as to your reasoning.

Random Technical Stuff
Post #722950
Posted Monday, May 25, 2009 6:56 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

ta.bu.shi.da.yu (5/25/2009)
Damus (5/25/2009)

Why? Just because it's the same old thing doesn't mean it's not worthwhile. I'm curious as to your reasoning.

Dont get me wrong :) it all still works, I am not attacking it. Just not evolving like other technologies. Maybe coz its very basic, or maybe coz they are pulled back with backward compatibility like someone posted earlier.
Post #722955
Posted Tuesday, May 26, 2009 4:05 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Today @ 2:46 AM
ChrisN
I questioned the choice of PowerShell as the core scripting language coming from my decades of scripting and development experience on another redgate forum and was told basically to shut up and enjoy the ride.

I hope it wasn't a Simple-Talk forum! Simple-Talk ran a number of PowerShell articles and we were surprised at the lack of keenness for the scripting shell. After quite a bit of debate, we came to the conclusion that it was just too arcane. Although it would be quixotic to believe we can change the general flight to Powershell, we can see IronPython and IronRuby being far easier to use for administrative scripting for a lot of folks. We're hedging our bets!

Here again, the 'softies' are a bit out-of-touch with the work in ordinary IT departments. When the subject of Powershell came up in the recent DB Teched sessions, the DBAs in the audience showed little enthusiasm, as Tony noted in his editorial when they were confronted with complex XQuery etc.. (I seem to have been as interested in the audience reaction to what was said from the rostrum, as in the talks themselves, but these were recorded anyway for posterity.)

Best wishes,

Phil Factor
Simple Talk
Post #723140
Posted Tuesday, May 26, 2009 8:09 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 12:48 PM
Interesting. A few experts that haved dived in heavily to Powershell and they seem to like it. It follows what I'd consider is a very simple format and structure.

Whether it's good or not, I think it will take off in the MS world since it will be built into every server in the next 3-5 years. At that point, you'll start using it as a default. Just like VBScript, which is relatively simple to start with, and then gets horribly convoluted, established itself since it was built into Windows.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #723269
Posted Tuesday, May 26, 2009 8:16 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 12:53 PM
Damus (5/25/2009)

SQL is changing slowly, but what is wrong with the language? It does what is supposed to do which is access data.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #723274
Posted Tuesday, May 26, 2009 8:25 AM
SSC Rookie

Lynn Pettis (5/26/2009)
Damus (5/25/2009)

SQL is changing slowly, but what is wrong with the language? It does what is supposed to do which is access data.

/sigh. Seems I hit a taboo subject by saying that it is time to change. NOTHING is wrong with it.
Nothing is wrong with Pascal, or Cobol, or punchcards either. They all do what they are/were supposed to do.

Post #723278
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse