Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

My Approach to Writing for SQLServerCentral Expand / Collapse
Author

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 4:48 AM
Excellent article. Thanks for putting it up. I just wish you had posted it a few years ago. I'm going to print it out now & keep it handy as a reference while I'm working.

Excellent conversation too. Good feedback Phil. Jeff, the one thing I've learned in the last ten years, but keep forgetting, is to test, test, test, everything. Everything I hear, everything I read, everything I write. You've got it 100% correct. Testing is knowing. Anything else is just assumptions. Thanks guys.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #738214
Posted Friday, June 19, 2009 7:58 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Sunday, November 04, 2012 12:23 PM
David,

Great article!

Exactly what I'm currently looking for.

Flo

The more I learn, the more I know what I do not know
Blog: Things about Software Architecture, .NET development and T-SQL

How to Post Data/Code to get the best Help How to Post Performance Problems
Post #738323
Posted Friday, June 19, 2009 8:12 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, April 17, 2014 8:12 AM
I think I just paid a thousand bucks or so for this information in a college-level writing course. Very nice article, easy to read and excellent advice.

Thanks!

Jon

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #738340
Posted Friday, June 19, 2009 8:40 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 1:06 PM
practise is spelled practice.
Post #738373
Posted Friday, June 19, 2009 8:56 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, April 17, 2014 8:12 AM
zooomer (6/19/2009)
practise is spelled practice.

The first letter of a sentence should be capitalized, and when quoting, double quotes should be used.

C'mon, really?

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #738401
Posted Friday, June 19, 2009 10:00 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Thursday, April 10, 2014 6:18 PM
Very inspiring article, having recently read Brad McGeehee's "How to Become an Exceptional DBA" (looking forward to the second edition) this article came up at exactly the right time for me.

There are numerous blog's available on how to write a blog entry, but I found this to be a very well thought out and polished article.

The one critique I would have is this:
The article mentions quite heavily the editing process, so it would have been nice to have some kind of appendix where the reader could see where edits had been made, the extra 60 - 70% that never made the grade as well as the reason(s) why.

Rich

Hope this helps,
Rich

Post #738475
Posted Friday, June 19, 2009 10:02 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 6:02 PM
Grant Fritchey (6/19/2009)
Excellent article. Thanks for putting it up. I just wish you had posted it a few years ago. I'm going to print it out now & keep it handy as a reference while I'm working.

Excellent conversation too. Good feedback Phil. Jeff, the one thing I've learned in the last ten years, but keep forgetting, is to test, test, test, everything. Everything I hear, everything I read, everything I write. You've got it 100% correct. Testing is knowing. Anything else is just assumptions. Thanks guys.

Heh... thanks for the feedback there, Grant. Every time I forget to test, someone installs handrails and force feeds me my own pork chops. It's a lesson hard learned for me that I try to never skip. As Sergiy taught me a very long time ago, "A Developer must not guess, a Developer must KNOW."

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

"Change is inevitable. Change for the better is not." -- 04 August 2013
(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
Post #738478
Posted Friday, June 19, 2009 10:11 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:24 AM
"practise" is the English spelling, where David is located. Practice, is the US spelling.

Personally, the more I teach my kids, the more I think English is a huge mess.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #738489
Posted Friday, June 19, 2009 1:04 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 4:25 AM
Steve Jones - Editor (6/19/2009)
"practise" is the English spelling, where David is located. Practice, is the US spelling.

Personally, the more I teach my kids, the more I think English is a huge mess.

Practice is a noun.

Practise is the spelling of the associated verb. Compare with 'advice' and 'advise'.

That's UK English, by the way. No idea about US English.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.
Post #738582
Posted Friday, June 19, 2009 1:23 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, March 10, 2014 3:52 PM
Great article. I really admire those that can write and appreciate their willingness to share with us. I've found that personally I'm a much better reader than writer though someday I'd like to be able to write well enough to contribute my experiences with others. My only question is where people find the hours of extra time it takes to write for a site like this? I don't even have time to completely read everything.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Use Full Links:
KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum
Post #738599
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse