Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Database Modeling and Diagrams with SQL Server 2008 Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 4:00 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Database Modeling and Diagrams with SQL Server 2008
Post #719533
Posted Tuesday, May 19, 2009 12:56 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Monday, July 28, 2014 2:14 AM
In SqlServer2000 I used the Database Diagram for documentation.
I divided the Database (120 tables) in four diagrams (each the size of a single page A4) on the 4 subjects of the db (customers, employees, bookings, internet). I copy-pasted (printscreen) in in a Word document and had a low cost superb solution.

But then came 2005 and the captions (table name)came in a new big bold font. And it needed an empty line at the bottom (or you get a scrollbar which makes the table ugly and more width). And it didn't fit on a page any more. So 2005 blew up my documentation

Post #719558
Posted Tuesday, May 19, 2009 1:00 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, May 21, 2009 12:31 AM
Hi,

Figure 6 is incorrect, you do not have to create the script and then return to the database model. You need to turn off the validation that SQL Management Studio has built in for changes that require a table to be recreated.

The option is available at Tools | Options | Designers | Prevent saving changes that require table re-create.

Regards,
Mark P Ashworth
http://www.connext.co.za
Post #719559
Posted Tuesday, May 19, 2009 2:26 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:35 AM
I didn't understand the purpose of this article. These things existed in the last century as well
Post #719595
Posted Tuesday, May 19, 2009 3:05 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 6:47 AM
nice naming convention on your tables
Post #719610
Posted Tuesday, May 19, 2009 5:55 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:19 AM
As far as export, you can also use one of last century's commands to get a file copy of your diagram:
bcp MY_DB..sysdiagrams out MY_DIAGRAM.bcp -c -T -S SERVERNAME

Then you can restore the db all you want and then bcp the diagram back in when needed. Yes, I know, there are other more modern methods. Just throwing this out there.
Post #719693
Posted Tuesday, May 19, 2009 7:05 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Thursday, May 8, 2014 10:08 PM
I gave this article a good score - I don't know why it is getting bashed in the ratings (only an average of 2 when I voted). The English is well written and it covers most of the basics of the diagram tool. I already knew all of the material (I always use the diagram tool) but I'm going to assign my intro database students to read this next semester along with the other articles they get assigned.
Post #719762
Posted Tuesday, May 19, 2009 7:12 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:16 PM
I like the database diagraming tools within SQL Server, however I learned not to use them because they are tied to intimately with the database. In 2005, I built up elaborate diagrams of each schema of the system I work on, but then when it came time to do an entire database refresh into our dev environment from the test environment, I couldn't find a way to export the diagrams out of the database in a way that could be imported back in later after the refresh (refresh was a backup and restore of test database). Does anyone know if they've solved this issue or found a way that I've missed? Untill then, I'll stick with outside tools to do my documentation and diagraming.
Post #719773
Posted Tuesday, May 19, 2009 7:13 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, December 21, 2012 6:44 AM
I stopped using the DD because when visualizing the DB and you link or make a change to the diagram it actually makes the change in the DB tables. What I have been looking for is a tool like this to use for documentation, and the actual foreign keys and linkages are done programmatically through views/SP/Scripts. Problem with Visio is our version will not read 2005 let alone 2008.
Post #719775
Posted Tuesday, May 19, 2009 7:45 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:39 PM
Parag Mehta (5/19/2009)
I didn't understand the purpose of this article. These things existed in the last century as well

Not everyone has been using SQL Server for more than one version. We get new people all the time and publish articles to help all levels of users.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #719816
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse