Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Subscriber database size? Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, April 20, 2012 11:40 AM
Hello,

I have 3 separate SQL servers (2 SQL 2005 and 1 SQL2000) handling the one way transactional replication process. Publisher and Subscribers are running on separate SQL 2005 servers while the distributor is running on a SQL 2000 server.

I'm replicating all tables for this database on a daily basis and the status always indicates replication has been successfully applied. But the physical size of the drive is only about 1/4 of the publisher's database size. I'm concern that not all the data has been replicated over. Is this behavior normal? How do I check the integrity of the subscriber DB?

*Snapshot are taken and applied only if i reinitialize the subscription, so it doesn't happen too often

Thank you in advance,
Jason
Post #714502
Posted Monday, May 11, 2009 10:55 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 2:53 AM
Hi Jason,

Size of the database need not match. Database has many other objects, not just tables.
Run sp_publication_validation to check.

Suresh
Post #714715
Posted Monday, May 11, 2009 11:03 PM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Thursday, June 5, 2014 10:54 AM
Size of the databases can also include much unused and unallocated space. And the tables themselves can also can varying amounts of currently unused space. Liewise, Indexes can be quite different as well.

If you suspect that a table is not fully replicated, start by comparing the RecordCounts of the two tables.

-- RBarryYoung, (302)375-0451 blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung
Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
"Performance is our middle name."
Post #714719
Posted Tuesday, May 12, 2009 8:22 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, April 20, 2012 11:40 AM
Thank you both for your replies. I randomly checked a few tables between the publisher and the subscriber, they seemed to match. I will run the sp to validation the publication, but this certainly puts my mind at ease
Post #715125
Posted Wednesday, May 13, 2009 12:21 PM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 5:47 AM
jliu (5/12/2009)
Thank you both for your replies. I randomly checked a few tables between the publisher and the subscriber, they seemed to match. I will run the sp to validation the publication, but this certainly puts my mind at ease

Keep in mind that validation procedures are useful only at times where no changes are happening on the primary.

* Noel
Post #716294
Posted Wednesday, May 13, 2009 1:27 PM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Thursday, June 5, 2014 10:54 AM
jliu (5/12/2009)

Glad we could help.

-- RBarryYoung, (302)375-0451 blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung
Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
"Performance is our middle name."
Post #716364
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse