Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Backup and transaction log Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 8:08 AM
Gianluca Sartori (5/8/2009)

I don't like differential backups, because I don't want to restore thousands of backups when I need to get back.

Hope this helps
Gianluca

If you have a backup strategy involving full,diff,tlog backups wont the differential backup help to restore lesser number of log backups.

"Keep Trying"
Post #712712
Posted Friday, May 8, 2009 2:44 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 9:21 AM
Hi,
What does differential backup capture? I mean does it take the changes from last full backup/last differential backup. So for taking differential backup is it necessary to append each time with the existing one instead of overwriting?

Ryan
//All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them//
Post #712720
Posted Friday, May 8, 2009 3:03 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Monday, October 20, 2014 5:47 AM
Agree with Chirag, the differential backup helps to restore lesser number of log backups. On few of our servers where the backup size is big and we have disk crunch also. We take weekly full backup, nightly diff backup and hourly log backup. So diff backup has its own importance. It captures the changes from last backup. In case of recovery we need to restore full backup, last diff backup and tran log backups(after the diff backup) for the point recovery.
Post #712732
Posted Friday, May 8, 2009 3:16 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:28 PM
It depends on your DB size. We have small databases (under 100 Gb) and we prefer nightly full backups to keep it simple and reliable. We use Tivoli Data Protection for SQL Server and restoring from full + log is a one-click operation, so I don't mind restoring tlogs.

--
Gianluca Sartori

How to post T-SQL questions
spaghettidba.com
@spaghettidba
Post #712742
Posted Friday, May 8, 2009 3:26 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Hi,
I am taking full backup everyday 23:00 and overwriting it with the existing one. Transaction log every one hour and appending it every hour to get to get all the logs. So transaction log is getting increased. Is it good to delete the whole tranlog after the full backup and creating new one every day? What is the best way to do?

Ryan
Post #712748
Posted Friday, May 8, 2009 3:45 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Monday, October 20, 2014 5:47 AM
Well, it all depends on business requirement. But I would not suggest to erase the previous backups. keep them to some other disks OR on tape (if possible) you never know when you need to restore few days older backup may be till some time(in case of corruption or uses deleted something etc.)
Post #712757
Posted Friday, May 8, 2009 4:12 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 5:50 AM
sumanta.roy52 (5/8/2009)
Hi,
What does differential backup capture? I mean does it take the changes from last full backup/last differential backup.

Last full backup. So if you have a full on Sunday, a diff on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, to restore to Thursday morning you need the sunday full, just the Wednesday diff and then the log backups from there aon.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #712774
Posted Friday, May 8, 2009 4:18 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 5:50 AM
sumanta.roy52 (5/8/2009)
Hi,
I am taking full backup everyday 23:00 and overwriting it with the existing one. Transaction log every one hour and appending it every hour to get to get all the logs. So transaction log is getting increased. Is it good to delete the whole tranlog after the full backup and creating new one every day?

What happens if you have only one full backup, you go to restore it and find that it's corrupt?
Are those older backups going to tape, or just been overwritten.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #712778
Posted Friday, May 8, 2009 4:22 AM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 11:55 AM
Hi,

It's better to take the System Databases backup regularly ( it can be on daily basis or weekly), as it helps a lot in case of any disaster scenario.

Post #712779
Posted Friday, May 8, 2009 5:51 AM

SSCommitted

Hi all,
Thanks to all of you...
While taking differential backup, do we need to append it every time or we can overwrite everytime?

Ryan
Post #712805
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse