Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Displaying a Pop-up message in SSRS 2005 Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:30 AM
Hi Prasanna,

Thanks for the post. It is not working as desired way. I expect the report to stop running when the user clicks on cancle button. Specificaly I want the call to db should not happen when the user hits cancle button.

Using the hidden function we can be smart enough to hide data from user, but internally the db call should also be seized. Until the user selects the expected parameter, the report should not process (the call to db should nt happen).
Post #704419
Posted Saturday, April 25, 2009 4:41 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:30 AM
Hi Prasanna,

Thanks for the post. It is not working as desired way. I expect the report to stop running when the user clicks on cancle button. Specificaly I want the call to db should not happen when the user hits cancle button.

Using the hidden function we can be smart enough to hide data from user, but internally the db call should also be seized. Until the user selects the expected parameter, the report should not process (the call to db should nt happen).
Post #704420
Posted Sunday, April 26, 2009 9:35 AM

SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, March 28, 2014 8:15 AM

It is not possible to stop the call to db after you run the report. The possible work around could be, in you dataset you can check the value of this parameter and execute stored procedures only if the parameter returns true, else you can execute simple select to return some static value. this will prevent your call to db and hidden function can present the report as if the report never executed.

Hope this helps !!

For those of you it did not work, can you may be give more information as to what you are trying to do, are you copying the code exactly, or making any changes? I am suprised because I tested everything before I included in the note.

- Prasanna

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

always Happy, always Prasanna
Post #704610
Posted Tuesday, April 28, 2009 9:03 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:10 PM
Hi and thanks for an interesting and promising article,
However I'm having the same problem as many other of your readers. I've made a very simple report which is just supposed to show a messagebox and then show the report.
I always get this message: Error during processing of ‘YesNoBox’ report parameter. (rsReportParameterProcessingError)
when running it from Report Server.
But when running it from BIDS it works OK. Is it Internet Explorer that blocks something?
I attached the RDL-file I'm using.

Best regards
Jorgen Hasselgren
HNO3 Business Intelligence Sweden

2.5cm
2.5cm
21cm

Integer

=Code.testing(1)

true
Report_Parameter_5
true

true
21cm
0.25cm
true

1cm

3cm
1.75cm
textbox1
2.53968cm

true
0.63492cm
TEXT

10.75cm

8427111c-07de-4d15-94cf-59f8095dd539
2.5cm
Function Testing(TestInt As Integer) As Integer
MsgBox("MsgBox",4,"Title")
Return 1
End Function

22.75cm
29.7cm
en-US
2.5cm
29.7cm
Post #705944
Posted Tuesday, April 28, 2009 9:08 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:10 PM
Sorry here comes an attachement of the RDL instead..

/Jörgen

Post Attachments 
msgBox.txt (41 views, 1.83 KB)
Post #705948
Posted Thursday, May 07, 2009 10:09 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, January 09, 2012 11:43 AM
Great article Prasanna - There's a few typos that are probably resopnsible for the errors folks are seeing on this thread:

When setting the visibility of the controls:
=Not(Parameter!IsValidNum.Value) should be =Not(Parameters!IsValidNum.Value) - note the missing 's'
=Parameter!IsValidNum.Value should be =Parameters!IsValidNum.Value - note the missing 's'

Post #712178
Posted Thursday, May 14, 2009 12:49 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, September 09, 2011 9:25 AM
Problem description:

I am using the function to embedd within the report .This function is called the user presses the view report button.

It works in the report designer (in preview),but it doesn't work on the server after i deployed it to the server,
why does it give me the message that is Error during processing of '@ParameterName' report parameter.(rsReportParameterProcessingError).

I am using Mgbox to display some alert statements in the Custome code.. embedded into the.. report

do I need to do anything with custom assemblies?
Post #717284
Posted Thursday, July 02, 2009 10:59 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, July 02, 2009 10:56 AM
Hey prasanna,
looks like you are too good in SSRS .why don't you show some more scenarios just like this.
I think you are working right
Post #746484
Posted Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:59 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, July 19, 2010 12:30 PM
I have not tried to do exactly what you have suggested, but soemthing similar based on another post here - but ran into a problem that MsgBox is not a valid function outside of the Visual Studion IDE. In fact, for my test project, the MsgBox option was showing up wonderfully in the "preview" mode, but stopped displaying it in the "Debug" mode. Needless to say, deploying it to the Reporting Server also did not help - it apprears that the VB Code for MsgBox is simply Not Supported on SSRS Servers. Read this

May be I am wrong, in which case, I would be very happy to find out how you got your solution to work on the SSRS Server.

Bhushan
Post #777925
Posted Thursday, August 27, 2009 9:01 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, July 19, 2010 12:30 PM
Happy to report that I found a decent workaround to the "msgBox" problem I reported earlier. Basically, just take out the MsgBox from your function code and let the user select parameters as they want. On clicking "View Report", your validation function will turn ON or OFF the boolean parameter and it will dictate whether your entire report shows up or a customized error message shows up.

I my proof of concept, I made all parts of the function parameterized so that even the message can be customized. I will post it here later.

Prasanna, your example here and the word document helped a lot. Thanks a lot for your contribution.
Post #778387
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse