Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Read_Only Database Expand / Collapse
Author
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:37 AM
When I attempt to put a user database in Read_Only when it is in use, the process hangs waiting for the database to be freed up. I would seem consistent that it would do the same thing for Master if that option were valid.
Post #694918
Posted Friday, April 10, 2009 9:28 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 10:12 AM
Sorry, the question has been corrected after testing on a couple instances. Points awarded back.

It appears, even if you are not connected to master, you cannot set this option.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #694924
Posted Friday, April 10, 2009 9:29 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, September 24, 2012 8:10 AM
I tried starting a 2000 SP3 Standard Edition with single user mode with no luck. DAC didn't come along until SQL 2005 so that wouldn't work. Is there anyway to actually make this available!?!
Post #694927
Posted Sunday, April 12, 2009 5:39 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, October 16, 2014 8:25 AM
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa933268(SQL.80).aspx
BOL states:
When true, users can only read data in the database. Users cannot modify the data or database objects, however, the database itself can be deleted using the DROP DATABASE statement. The database cannot be in use when a new value for the read only option is specified. The master database is the exception, and only the system administrator can use master while the read only option is being set.

This indicated to me that the master database has the option available... - o well..
Post #695418
Posted Sunday, April 12, 2009 10:05 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Wednesday, October 8, 2014 4:15 AM
barb.wendling (4/12/2009)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa933268(SQL.80).aspx
BOL states:
When true, users can only read data in the database. Users cannot modify the data or database objects, however, the database itself can be deleted using the DROP DATABASE statement. The database cannot be in use when a new value for the read only option is specified. The master database is the exception, and only the system administrator can use master while the read only option is being set.

This indicated to me that the master database has the option available... - o well..

We all read that in bol, but noone's been able to set to read_only (even using sa).

That's why the correct answer's been updated in this one!
Post #695475
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse