Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««2324252627»»

The T-SQL Paradigm Expand / Collapse
Author
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, August 10, 2012 6:08 PM
And by the way Steve Dassin, you may want to go re-read Snarky's comments.

Post #701028
Posted Monday, April 20, 2009 4:30 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 2:50 AM
dphillips (4/20/2009)

Let it go dude

Paul White
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Post #701057
Posted Monday, April 20, 2009 4:33 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 11:38 AM
Paul White (4/20/2009)
dphillips (4/20/2009)

Let it go dude

ooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #701059
Posted Monday, April 20, 2009 5:08 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 6:02 PM
dphillips (4/20/2009)

Apparently in my haste to find an empathic voice I overlooked the true message this sardonic wit was sending me. Thank you so much for setting me straight. As for my 'pitch' perhaps I would have more success with you if I were hawking rice krispies or shaving cream. Ditch the pitch seems to be a popular rallying point here. Consider it my contribution of gin to your mill. But I do look forward to your insights in the future. I will give your comments and Pauls the scrutiny they deserve.

best,
steve
www.beyondsql.blogspot.com
Post #701074
Posted Monday, April 20, 2009 6:20 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, August 10, 2012 6:08 PM
steve dassin (4/20/2009)
dphillips (4/20/2009)

Apparently in my haste to find an empathic voice I overlooked the true message this sardonic wit was sending me. Thank you so much for setting me straight. As for my 'pitch' perhaps I would have more success with you if I were hawking rice krispies or shaving cream. Ditch the pitch seems to be a popular rallying point here. Consider it my contribution of gin to your mill. But I do look forward to your insights in the future. I will give your comments and Pauls the scrutiny they deserve.

best,
steve

There is no winner or loser here. If we cannot communicate, then everyone loses. I am no judge... To refuse to recognize that several have stated dislike of the bluntness of the message and/or not make better on it, in general baffles me a bit. If that is the intended message...

I am at a loss...
Post #701097
Posted Monday, April 20, 2009 6:46 PM

Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 6:35 PM
steve dassin (4/20/2009)
dphillips (4/20/2009)

best,
steve

the term is grist to the mill

please stop being a *****

i've -really- enjoyed this thread apart from your intrusions

Peter Edmunds ex-Geek
Post #701105
Posted Monday, April 20, 2009 7:55 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 6:02 PM
bitbucket (4/19/2009)
From Dataphor SQL RAC
Dataphor - Sql: what does Update..From mean?
What is really wrong with the "UPDATE.. FROM.." syntax?

This example uses MS Sql Server 2005
and
the D4 language of Dataphor @
www.alphora.com
Yields Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

http://tinyurl.com/27Z8PM - Is a redirection link taking one to
microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming

I find this rather limiting - almost to the point of making Dataphor useless
(for example D4 will not return
nor address a table with duplicate key(s) or rows).

The goal of sql is
performance oriented retrieval of large numbers of rows. The goal
of Dataphor is toward application development which is less
concerned with retrieval and more concerned with 'addressing' tables.

Further - The only reason for maintaining data in a database is to return data for other uses - thus dataphor appears not to be applicable to any real world useage.

Sorry but at this point I gave up ... and that is from only reading a wee bit from your site

Hmm..there are people who think all the relational theory stuff is nothing but gibberish. Who cares what a theory says. Sql doesn't care so why should users. Why make a db where each table must have unique rows and unique rows only? You seem to saying give me duplicates or give me death.
The battle cry of an sql server patriot Well all can say is that when see a system called an 'RDBMS' if it supports duplicates it's a silent R. I suppose you couldn't imagine using a system without DISTINCT

You have a problem with not being able to access data? I'm only kidding
Sql is a 'plural' system. The often repeated phrase: sql is optimized for set based solutions really says it all. In fact you could say its optimized for big set based operations. But what about if you turned things around. What about a system that was optimized for accessing a 'single' row? After all
a big chunk of application development is just that, a single row for a customer or patient. An update of an expression that is based on single rows of data. It's not that dataphor can't process lots of data but you can think of dataphor as what sql would be like if the concept of a single row where of primary importance. A lot of relational ideas are like trying to describe a particular situation where at the end you just say you really had to be there to understand. I'm trying to get people heads 'there'

best,
steve
Post #701118
Posted Monday, April 20, 2009 7:59 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 11:38 AM
Mr Dassin,

You really have missed the point. Stop with the hyperbole and attacks on SQL Server (and all its cousins). Provide straight, well supported facts. Provide actual cases of the your "product" in actual use solving real world business problems. We can find tons of cases where SQL based systems are being used to solve real world business problems.

All of us on this site (SSC) use SQL Server to support our organizations, and are doing so successfully. You have not provided us with anything that would even suggest that your "product" is even worth investigating for use in our organizations, and many of us don't have the time or energy to "play" with your "product" on our own time. We have other things that we can be doing that will actually help us with our own career development or even just to spend time with our own families, or other things we do outside of work (for instance it happens to be soccer season and I coach a U-12 soccer team and officiate youth and high school soccer).

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #701119
Posted Monday, April 20, 2009 10:55 PM

Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 6:35 PM
Lynn
Yes,

Mr Dassin

Editor's Note: Post offensive

Please stop trying to sell an idea that is simply a wrapper for somebody else's already hugely advanced and developed concept.

Peter Edmunds ex-Geek
Post #701163
Posted Monday, April 20, 2009 11:16 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 11:50 AM
Peter, don't be as bad as the cause. Lots of us got mad at him for all the name calling. And, the etymology of the word you're using goes way over the edge for a forum that's supposed to populated by professionals.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #701171
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««2324252627»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse