Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Troubleshooting Expand / Collapse
Author
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 10:56 AM
CoetzeeW (4/2/2009)
Great Article, Since most DBA's responsiblity is supporting\troubleshooting such a complex product like SQL server you have highlighted a good methodology and approach to problem solving, Thanks !

Excellent article Mike.

I like this part most though from above quote ..........supporting\troubleshooting such a complex product like SQL server.

SQL DBA.
Post #688913
Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 8:12 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Friday, September 19, 2014 9:14 AM
SanjayAttray (4/2/2009)
CoetzeeW (4/2/2009)
Great Article, Since most DBA's responsiblity is supporting\troubleshooting such a complex product like SQL server you have highlighted a good methodology and approach to problem solving, Thanks !

Excellent article Mike.

I like this part most though from above quote ..........supporting\troubleshooting such a complex product like SQL server.

I am not sure if the sarcascm was frustration about troubleshooting SQL or the fact that SQL is less complex than other database management systems. SQL Server is less complex than some but shoddy troubleshooting happens all the time and often causes more problems than solutions (or accidental solutions that can't be recreated). In fact the simpler management interface and installation interface is what causes a lot of the woes with SQL Server.

A lot of companies have the theory that since you can just click next, next, next, finish and it's installed you don't need a DBA staff. You don't need to follow best practices and it can't be that complex to fix, you can just fix it with a quick web search. Watch the forums here or the msdn forums and you'll see the results repeat time and time again.

No it's not as complex as the human body either but the point is the same principles of problem solving and troubleshooting can be applied anywhere.

Mike Walsh
SQL Server DBA
Blog - www.straightpathsql.com/blog |Twitter
Post #688937
Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 8:12 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 5:46 PM
Just about any working professional that's been able to survive any length of time in our profession does what this article says. Where I work now we perform it as a necessity. Not sure we've ever wrote it out and followed it. We do have a lot of written antedotes and not all apply. I think I've learned this process from making all the mistakes in the past. This would have been good advise then. Then again....
Post #688938
Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 8:18 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Wow! "SQL Server is less complex"?

What kind of production environment are you running. A lab?
Post #688946
Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 8:23 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Ken Shapley (4/2/2009)
Wow! "SQL Server is less complex"?

What kind of production environment are you running. A lab?

Thanks :) I was confused by that comment as well. My response to them about yeah maybe it's less complex than say an Oracle or DB2 was more about the installation and management options/methods. It is still a very complex DBMS with tons happening under the hood, lots of moving pieces and parts and if you treat it like it's just a simple thing then you end up seeing the kind of troubleshooting I concluded with.

Also to your point about everyone following this if they have survived awhile. I think you summed it up best when you said "Then again..." I work with a lot of folks at the same skillset or much higher who could stand to use a better troubleshooting method. They try the chicken with the head cut off approach far too often :)

Mike Walsh
SQL Server DBA
Post #688956
Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 8:32 AM
SSC Rookie

The chicken approach would not be tolerated where I work.
Post #688970
Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 8:37 AM
SSC Journeyman

Sounds like you work at a great place. I have not been doing technology very long. I have worked with SQL Server for 10 years but I have yet to not find folks executing that type of troubleshooting. Anyway, thanks for the comments, gives hope.

Mike Walsh
SQL Server DBA
Post #688976
Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 8:39 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Friday, April 4, 2014 4:40 PM
Beautiful article, and well written.

It seems, as with so many things in life, the key element in the article can be summed up with a quote from the Hitchhiker's Guide "Don't panic."

---
Timothy A Wiseman
SQL Blog: http://timothyawiseman.wordpress.com/
Post #688980
Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 8:40 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, November 11, 2013 2:42 AM
Interesting analogy, but I'm afraid that is simply isn't true.
Recent studies have shown that well trained personnel (I think it was Incident Controller, aka Lead Fireman specifically) simply do not run all the possibilities in an emergency situation, they just look and act. The training allows them to adjust procedures as the reality of the situation emerges. The key thing being that they can never have any significant understanding of the problem domain in advance, only of the tools at their disposal. In tech support, the reverse is more often true: people know how to configure devices, but only use the diagnostic tools when they need to, and therefore only ever learn the bits that they have used so far.

Throw away your pocket calculators; visit www.calcResult.com

Post #688983
Posted Thursday, April 2, 2009 8:42 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:41 PM
Nice job, Mike.

I fixed the one type on "seen"

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #688988
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse