Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Nightly Failed Jobs Report Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, September 19, 2002 9:58 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 8:20 AM
Hi

Dont forget jobs that are "still" running, ie. havent finished from when they where scheduled to run at 1am for example and its now 10am, this is a classic item that is easily skipped by the DBA but can result in major problems.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Kempster
www.chriskempster.com
Author of "SQL Server Backup, Recovery & Troubleshooting"
Author of "SQL Server 2k for the Oracle DBA"
Post #41627
Posted Friday, September 20, 2002 7:29 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, June 6, 2014 2:06 PM
Good point. If I add that to the script some day, then I'll make sure I post it.

Gregory Larsen, DBA

If you looking for SQL Server Examples check out my website at http://www.geocities.com/sqlserverexamples

Gregory A. Larsen, MVP

Need SQL Server Examples check out my website at http://www.sqlserverexamples.com
Post #41628
Posted Thursday, October 31, 2002 12:29 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, November 28, 2003 12:00 AM
Hi,

Great scripting, Greg. I am searching for an alternative to using xp_sendmail (we don't use it due to 1 way trust from data warehouse to domain with exchange). Perhaps a version of sp_sendmail that allowed the @query! Hmmm..

Post #41629
Posted Wednesday, November 6, 2002 5:49 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

sorry perhaps i should clarify (since sp_sendmail is in house). Since our datawarehouse domain is seperate and not a trustee of our administration domain, xp_sendmail requires an exchange server (or other MAPI mail server) in the same domain. Thus we created sp_sendmail which doesn't include the @query function so Greg's script requires some tweaking. I'm almost complete with a stored proc that includes the name of the failed job in the subject. We use a DTS package for a weekly failed job report.

Post #41630
Posted Thursday, November 7, 2002 1:29 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 12:40 AM
This is a nice solution if you only want to followup the sql-server-stuff.
We use HP-openview-managex/HP-OperationsW to followup the nt-eventlogs of our servers. All our jobs report failings to the eventlog.

Jobi

Johan

Don't drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
but keeping both feet on the ground won't get you anywhere

- How to post Performance Problems
- How to post data/code to get the best help

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt ?

"press F1 for solution", "press shift+F1 for urgent solution"

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me
Post #41631
Posted Sunday, November 10, 2002 8:33 PM
Forum Newbie

BTW, does anyone know how to include the name of a job in the subject of an email? msdb..sysjobhistory doesn't get updated until the job is complete (run_time). Does anyone know if this is possible?

thanks

Post #41632
Posted Tuesday, November 12, 2002 9:28 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, June 6, 2014 2:06 PM
Not exactly sure what you are trying to do, but seems that if you know the job_id, then you can always uses the sysjobs table to get the jobname.

Gregory Larsen, DBA

If you looking for SQL Server Examples check out my website at http://www.geocities.com/sqlserverexamples

Gregory A. Larsen, MVP

Need SQL Server Examples check out my website at http://www.sqlserverexamples.com
Post #41633
Posted Thursday, December 19, 2002 3:52 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 11:35 AM
Not a bad solution. I've done something similar, but I let each server query itself and store the results in a table. Then I have a master server that queries all these servers (use DTS, transform task) to roll up all information.

Couple things I found on jobs:
1. Don't like to do steps. I just want to know what failed. I can dig in if it's important. Also, for some jobs this gets cumbersome, like log dumps. We dump every 15 minutes. Having that fail all night really munges up the report, so I only report a single failed instance.
2. I store the last time I ran the report. Why? If the report job fails today and I spend a day getting it fixed, I want to get the report to return everything I may have missed, so I'll want more than a days worth of data. Plus this handles weekends as well.

Steve Jones
sjones@sqlservercentral.com
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #41634
Posted Friday, February 20, 2009 4:16 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, July 28, 2014 9:56 PM
How to configure this if we are using the other xp